Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Couldn't (or wouldn't) pass it up, another one joins the herd. >

Couldn't (or wouldn't) pass it up, another one joins the herd.

Couldn't (or wouldn't) pass it up, another one joins the herd.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:23 AM

Cathy i notice your BW has an even feed. Mine doesnt. Whats your latest patent date and serial number? Could you please post a pic of the attachments (especially the "missing" adapeter ;-)) I did read in that little pocket encyclopedia that Household was kind of by itself. Do you know what needle? Never mind I can look that up...
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Though my machine is a newer version, the manual I have is for the older version.

Here are a few pages for fun

How to wind the bobbin

I'd love to find a tucker like this one. It also has a picture of the more common tucker with the coil, and says "either may be supplied with the machine"

Old 07-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Ewwwww! 13*1 or 1*7 needles, in common with a couple Masons , Americans, Domestic and a Davis or 2. Glad I didn't look before I leeped!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 AM

Jim,

The household uses the Boye #2 needle, AKA 1x7 or 13x1. This needle is odd in that it has the flat on the side of the long groove, most needles have the flat on the opposite side of the needle.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM

the latest patent date on the needle plate is 1882. It's possible that mine has a replacement bobbin winder on it. I've not looked it over closely compared with the manual to see if there were other differences.

here are two attachment cases.

I think I also have a Johnston set (comes in a long black cardboard box with metal reinfoced corners) Johnston is the company that made the tucker with the coil spring. I also discovered that the gap in the coil is what makes it line up correctly between the bed mount and the needle. I have several different coil gaps, and I thought they were from misuse or wear, but it turns out they are suppose to be different depending on which machine they fit.

Here are the quilting feet - to help "guess" at what the adapter foot would look like.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 AM

The manual shows bed mount hemmers and binder, along with a very unique looking ruffler, so that indicates an older style than the two boxes I have.

On that Damascus you just got, does it take the regular style National shuttle, or the older one that is longer. The machine has the lines of the older style - however often they are new enough that the shorter shuttle fits.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Here is the Household with the Domestic front plate -

Household with Household

Domestic with Domestic. The Household plate would not even go on the Domestic, but I had to polish the replacement Domestic plate I bought before it would fit this machine too, so the plate being slightly too wide may be a fitting issue and not actually a different size.

And though it looks the same, the feed dog opening is slightly different so the needle plates won't interchange either. I also have a third oval needle plate with a very different feed dog opening.

And for fun - the newer and older style National/Eldredge shuttles. They are the same except for the length.

I took the pictures a week ago and wrote down the measures - somewhere . . .
Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks so much for the wealth of information Cathy. I may have a couple #2 needles. I'm at work so I'll dig in more later and I dont have the Damascus here yet. My rotary version is a treadle in really nice condition that I got from the wonderful QB artist on the coast. Maybe some day...
Old 07-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Drool, drool, drool....
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 AM

Default After prodding GW, Damascus arrived safely

She's a little different casting style, sort of a hex profile to the "arm". And the funky light clamp has to go, I'll make something a little more aesthetically pleasing to mount in the tapped hole they put in to hold this light when it was "upgraded" to electric. The decals are almost cartoon-ish in quality with the red and green parts worn away on the bed. It's motor mounting bolt may facilitate a Chinese handcrank.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483670[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483671[/ATTACH]
And add 1 more to the number of slide plates I'll have to make. At least they're all the same size.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-07-16-22.20.34.jpg   2014-07-16-22.20.45.jpg