Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread >

Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread

Crinkle finish and other ugly finish machine thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Oh man. I went to post this in giggles but all I had was dry heaves. The still somewhat pretty one in post #86 turned into this.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/app/5055454497.html
Actually I like that one. That's the third or fourth one I've seen like that.

HelenAnn I have a Wards Brunswick just like yours I've started on. It was made by National (Thanks Macybaby for that info) and uses a 20x1 needle. They're neat little machines.
I also have a Kenmore just like your first machine. Mine is full sized. I haven't had a chance to mess with mine yet.

I'm a sucker for anything Art Deco. Art deco, Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau - I like them all. White made some great Art Deco inspired machines and a couple of the best Arts & Crafts cabinets I've seen too. I have a very nice Art Nouveau Singer treadle, the Wards Brunswick is in a nice little Art Deco styled cabinet and I still haven't managed to land an Arts & Crafts example yet.
Rodney
Old 06-03-2015, 04:30 PM

Default "The Bomb"

We call this one "the Bomb" for obvious reason. Charming art deco look.
Donna
Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 PM

Unknown age and/or date. Last used in the 50s. Love to get more info on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589447[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4029.jpg   img_2107.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jabatrom View Post
Unknown age and/or date. Last used in the 50s. Love to get more info on it.
Hi,
I just picked up another green New Home LLC but labeled Free Westinghouse and it's flaking off lots of delaminated green wrinkle finish like used in WWII and the 1950's.

Tip the machine up and look at the serial number and model numbers just under the front lip of the platform or base plate. It could also be stamped in black ink with either Type J or Type H (heavy duty?).
From Janey:
https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf

Find your model letter and then look for the year that your serial number was made.

My New Home had no light, the dirt in the mounting holes confirm that, and it was made in 1952-1953 as a model LLC.
My Free Westinghouse green machine had your exact light shape but painted green wrinkle/crinkle finish.
My tensioners are not in front like yours. They are on the side face plate to the left of your tensioner.
Your bobbin winder is not in the rear like my LLC's and part of the motor shaft.

My one green New Home has reverse and the front rounded plate shows that.
My trashed finish green Free Westinghouse has only one stitch scale up at the top and only sews forward.
The respective serial numbers are LLC 883,952 for the NH and LLC 838834 for the FW.
The NH came with an Allen Bradley foot control.
The FW came with a perforated round-holed screen cover on the foot control.
So, it appears they were made on the same assembly line in the same year range but are fairly different on some of the finer details. Maybe CD is right. There were possibly different options.

Your machine looks very different than those on thread 'new home for New Home' and mine.
LLC's appear to have a 'side lift' access plate. Yours is front to back and has a round needle plate.

Post what you see underneath. Both of mine say in the frame casting list it as a LLB 201-2 and on the next line in the casting is says 2.

It's a start for you but others have more expertise than me on New Home and Free Westinghouse machines.

HTH,

Stefan
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Here is my Free-Westinghouse, serial LN606744 long shuttle. Some handwriting on the wood base g63 and on the inside front rim of the crinkle head NPEJ (the J isn't all there but it looks like a "J". Would like to get more info on it. Don't know how to use it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589540[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]589539[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5060.jpg   img_5198.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 AM

Hi,
The New Home Rockford database shows your LN serial number to be from 1949 to 1952. I was surprised at that date range and being made in Rockford, Illinois. See your Free Westinghouse name plate for Rockford, ILL labeling too.

The front and rear slide plates suggests a 'torpedo' shaped shuttle or bobbin case Your bobbin winder should take those long 'dumbbell shaped' small diameter bobbins. See below.

These are not your manuals but they have items that should get you started. Manualslib.com.+

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/89...?page=6#manual
This page shows info on the shuttle and other pages. Ignore it is a treadle manual or Free Sewing Machine from before 1940. Page 20 has Instructions for electric machines!
On PDF page 5 is how to thread this machine, the actual manual image page is 9.

This page has a Free Westinghouse manual for download and for free. It has a thread width adjuster I don't see on yours. However, it has your bobbin winder or one similar. It should operate like yours or close enough to get you started.
http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/expertbt.htm

Keep in mind that Free Sewing Machine, New Home, Free Westinghouse, Elgin, and other third party brands are the same or similar models and manuals to your machine.

I have a friend that is a technician at a very credible sewing store. He showed me various bobbins on old treadle machines they had in a collection. He told me that those long dumbbell shaped bobbins look the same but had unique different dimensions. So, don't just buy some extras on ebay that just look right. Ask for dimensions.

In the Zorba online manual PDF on page 26 is item 133 near the center and left a bit.
That is what I believe is your bobbin shape and page 28 calls it a 'bobbin complete'.
This is for a White machine but it is what I think you use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-Shutt...oAAOSwhpZaQAET
This ebay view shows the bobbin close up for this White brand machine.

I hope this helps a bit. Hang in there. Others know way more than me but I am going through the same process as you. Getting the right parts and manuals is not easy on my green wrinkle finish machines from New Home and Free Westinghouse.

When you think you have everything set up and threaded, only hand crank the hand wheel to see how things are working with some fabric like one layer of jeans.
Jamming a needle into a bobbin case under electric power is a no-no. Go slow at first. Don't force anything.
Breaking off a needle is not good.

Stefan
Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hi,
The New Home Rockford database shows your LN serial number to be from 1949 to 1952.
Stefan
Stefan and Jabatrom I'm going to refer you both to Free-Westinghouse manual/date Since Jabatrom started a thread about this specific machine, I'm thinking that having information in one location rather than several it would be easier to follow and maybe down the road when someone else has this machine doesn't have so many places to find information.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:24 PM

Love your collection. I have a singer 128 Centennial crinkle, Kenmore 117, White 77, Domestic 151, and a Wards Streamliner. I have a big 221 Featherweight collection but don't have the crinkle finish yet. That is one of the rarest.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 AM

Three years ago MIL wanted a vintage straight stitch machine, said she didn't care what it looked like as long as it sewed. For Christmas, found a beautiful Singer 66, black crinkle finish, in a pristine fold out cabinet ($65). Hubby rewired it, I cleaned it, dressed her in a red doily and a Christmas bow (tied on, not stuck on). Put spools of neutral colored thread and wound bobbins on the spool rack located on the cabinet door, put extra needles, snips, seam ripper, manual and oil in the door's notion tray. She never used it once and the last time I was there saw a little plastic, Wally World sewing machine sitting on top of the cabinet. A very emotional experience for me, but I had to just ignore it. Would love to have the crinkle machine back, but you can't exactly take back a Christmas present, especially when it involves an in-law... Wish I had a pic of her to show!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Hi Joe. I have one of these. They called them a Streamliner after a train all right. Like Singer did with the 500 Rocketeer
to mimic the space TV shows of the 1950s. The Streamliner uses an angled rubber drive wheel which I'm having trouble
finding. Don't think there is any tension adjustment for the motor and wheel. Probably why they are using a tapered wheel. Have you tried to adjust yours?