Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Damascus Grand Rotary--Need Info!

Question Damascus Grand Rotary--Need Info!

I just inherited a Damascus Grand Rotary in a nice cabinet! Unfortunately, I know nothing about this machine! I know it needs a new belt and a good cleaning. If anyone has one of these, can you point me in the right direction for information about parts, downloadable manual, needle & bobbin info, etc.? I haven't been able to find much of anything for this machine and I really need some help!
    Name:  Damascus1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  84.1 KBName:  Damascus2.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  56.6 KBName:  Damascus3.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  60.7 KB

The machine itself looks a LOT like my Daughters Bartlet. It uses the same unusual swing away bobbin cover. Great machine.

Oh my oh my did you get a dream machine. Love that wood. I know nothing about that machine, other than how I'd clean and service it. It looks to have features of several brands, so I'll let Jon or someone else who knows more ID it for you.

I'd be sewing with that one ...... did I say I love that cabinet .....

Joe

I was also thinking that she looks a bit like a "hybrid" machine, and I would love to know where to look for any info that might help me get her sewing like a dream. I know she'll be awesome!

I have a Damascus treadle machine - it is from 1925, my Great-Aunt Mae bought it from Montgomery Wards. The bobbin cover is totally different than yours, so it would be there is some difference. If you want to search put it in as "Montgomery Wards Damascus Sewing Machines". They do seem to be a bit rare, not a lot of information out there since they haven't been made for so long and not a popular brand when they were made. My machine sews very well and I have used it to make quilts. I have not "quilted" with it - just pieced and put the binding on.

Good luck in your search.

Hi,

Your Perdy Damascus Grand Rotary was made by National and sold through MW. Here's a Western Electric manual that should help:
    http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image8.htm

Takes a 20x1 needle, you can try a 15x1 scooted down. National SM Yahoo group is a good resource.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nsmco/

Enjoy your new beauty,
    Jon