Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
"Dooley" sewing foot, does anyone else have one of these??? >

"Dooley" sewing foot, does anyone else have one of these???

"Dooley" sewing foot, does anyone else have one of these???

Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM

Default "Dooley" sewing foot, does anyone else have one of these???

A couple of weeks ago I got some back clamping attachments and an assortment of things I didn't know what they were. I'm slowly figuring out what they are.
I got a long foot that is of a rougher texture and a different metal from the regular Singer attachments. It has a slit from the right and hole there for the needle, a larger hole and slit from the right, a slit and rectangle opening from the left and another rectangle hole and slit from the right. I didn't know what I had, but sent a picture to Sheluma. Thanks Sheila!!! She looked it up for me and found out what I have. I have a Dooley sewing foot that is supposed to do all kind of things.
I got the patent information for it, and then found the pdf for the instruction book for it. It is found here.

http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Singer/pdf/dooley_foot.pdf

A neat attachment. Now to try it out on my Singer 66. The one in the instructions is top clamping, and mine is back clamping. I don't have the shirrer for it. Does anyone have one to spare?
Janis
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM

That's pretty snazzy. I don't think I have one, but I saved those directions just in case I ever find one.

Joe
Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM

What Joe?!!!??? I've got an attachment before you have? That's so neat. And you are one of the first to get the things, it seems!
I
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if I have one of those somewhere?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Thanks added to my favorites!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 AM

What a neat presser foot! I had never seen one before, but I am now on the lookout for one!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
What Joe?!!!??? I've got an attachment before you have? That's so neat. And you are one of the first to get the things, it seems!
I
LOL With the way my luck has been running recently if I ever found one it wouldn't fit any machine I've got.

Joe
Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 AM

But Joe, then you could have an excuse to buy another one.
Friday I got some top clamping attachments and have both a Greist ruffler and a tucker that are early ones for Greist. How early???? The ruffler is smaller than any of the others I've seen, and it has:

The Greist mfg co
pat apd for
New Haven, Conn

on it in the place where on the Singer ones have the big S. The ticker has the same thing on it too.
I have a later Greist ruffler, top clamp also, that has the little tab and slot where you change it from gathering to tucks, that states that Greist has a patent on it.
No machine to go with the top clamp attachments, ..........yet. I also have a button holer that I got a while ago that is Sears and is also a top clamp attachment. No machine to go with them, but the attachments are a neat thing to have anyway.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM

I have quite a few of the top clamp attachments that do not fit any machines I have. A couple button hollers too.

I don't actively seek out machines for them, but I always check them with each machine I get to see if they'll fit.

What I wish is that I could come up with a chart that said which off set and tab widths fit what machines. That would be a good help.

I've even amassed a bunch of high shank feet too. Got one maybe two machines they'd fit, but the machines already have their feetsies.

Joe
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Look at this Singer Style-O-Matic. It is rare and expensive (I paid about $600 for mine). It takes the place of many other attachments. The difference is that it is Singer, side clamping, and Dooley probably copied it. I haven't checked, but assume it does the same things.

http://www.april1930s.com/Style-O-Ma...April1930s.pdf

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 08-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.