Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
"Dooley" sewing foot, does anyone else have one of these??? >

"Dooley" sewing foot, does anyone else have one of these???

"Dooley" sewing foot, does anyone else have one of these???

Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM

Charles W. Dooley filed for his patent for a 'universal presser foot' that became the "Dooley" Presser Foot on May 21, 1927. The instruction book has the patent date of June 11, 1929.

According to needlebar, John Karle's 1935 patent 'became Singer's Style-o-matic #121095.'

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage.php?pid=8042

So, it seems that Dooley Presser Foot was made first. It came in top clamping, side clamping and the one I have, back clamping attachments. They are shown here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Singer...43557/pic/list

You might need to join the Singer Attachment group to see it.

From what needlebar has to say about the Singer Style-o-Matic, it just came as a side clamping attachment. I'd like to find one of those too!
Janis

Last edited by Janis; 08-27-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: adding Singer Attachmet site
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 AM

I am going to have to go dig thru my stuff. I think I have a couple of those feet and never knew what they were. I have learned sooooo much from this board. I love it, love coming here and reading up on all the oldies. I am collecting so many oldies. I have a chance at 4 and need to go look at them. Guy said they were just taking up space in his garage and he wanted them gone. So I will drive up there one of these days and check em out.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:25 AM

that is so neat that you got that foot - always fun to see what is included with the "assortments" for sale! Though it gets addicting, I've been looking at the different Greist attachment boxes now. I got one style with the Free and another style with the Eldredge, and now I see there are at least two other styles out there.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Makes my head spin to think about someone coming up with some of these complex feet! At least I'll know what some of them are when I see them.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the credit, Janis, but I just got lucky. A week or two after you sent the picture someone posted their Dooley foot on the Singer Attachments yahoo group. It's in two folders -- The Dooley foot folder and the Unusual Attachments folder. There are samples of work pictured, too. They seem to have come with the foot.