Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrical "buzz" from my FW

Blog Entries

Electrical "buzz" from my FW

I have had my FW since the late 1970's. Lately, when I touch the throat plate or hand wheel (both silver colored metal) I've gotten a slight "buzz." Now it seems to be affecting the bed extension, as well. Any recommendations on how to fix this problem? The plug is the original 2 prong. DH is fairly OK in the workshop. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the wiring is going bad. I understand it's not a difficult fix . . . but don't go by what I say. I have a 201 and 15-90 that are both in the process of rewire . . . and not complete yet.

Yes, sounds as if your machine is due for a rewire. Here is a link for good place to start.

http://www.featherweight221.com/fwrx/index.html
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I didn't know of that problem, but don't regularly check this thread. I have the DVD from the link Caroline provided (thanks, much), so now I just have to FIND it! HA! Since I only paid $15 for the machine and another $15 to get it running, guess a rewire will be worth it.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I recently read something about the old foot pedals not being grounded. Might be a problem there. Do be careful.

I have read of this problem on www.novamontgomery.com and it relates to the foot pedal. Please go to her site and you can find good reference material about this. If you can't find it, you can send her a message and she will direct you to the material. She will talk to you on phone and if needed y'all can Skype and work on the problem.

Nova is a fantastic Featherweight source and I know you will be pleased with her input and love of our Featherweights. Other contact information is: nova@novamontgomery.com or (936) 577-4818.

Please check out her information before opening up the foot pedal.

I have no business affiliation with Nova nor do I receive payment for this referral.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Two places to check the wiring on a FW. Pull the male plug that's in the machine and check the wiring and also behind the light. This website is good. http://www.singer-featherweight.com/ also look at the site one page under "chamber of horrors", then in there: "electrical disasters".
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    I had this happen on a white machine....very unnerving. I switched out the foot pedal and the buzzing stopped. It's a different color, but it doesn't bother me. Be careful!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help on this. Linda, I will check out the Nova site. I haven't sewn this week, but have my DMIL's FW and will try switching out the foot pedal to see if that works. DH read about rewiring and thinks he can handle it, but needs to find the grease and brushes. Imagine that would be on the singer site. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
    I have read of this problem on www.novamontgomery.com and it relates to the foot pedal. Please go to her site and you can find good reference material about this.

Nova is a fantastic Featherweight source and I know you will be pleased with her input
    Thank you for sharing this website! She has lots of wonderful information about FW's. i'll have lots of good reading, today.

One of the things that she mentioned was to turn the plug around. Plugs weren't polarized, years ago, so you can plug them into the socket any old way and simply turning it around can solve the tingling problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast