Electrical "buzz" from my FW

Old 06-18-2013, 04:40 AM

Hi Coopah,

I sincerely doubt that the foot pedal itself is your issue.

I suspect, keep in mind, this is without seeing any photos or anything, that it's a bare / loose wire touching somewhere it shouldn't.

This wire -could- be in the pedal, but if it is, it's likely to be the cord that's the issue. The cord is very easily replaced, as in the articles that I posted above. (Sew-Classic)

Or it could be a heavily damaged connector, they often get broken putting the machine into the case.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Terminal...-SCE192797.htm

-if- it's the cord set that has a broken wire, it's the easiest repair on the planet. Anyone can do it. It's not the delicate operation that someone on some site said it is. That's what I was saying by posting the links. It's a simple job, and as I talked about, AC current isn't concerned about which wire you put where in this cord, so if you can manage a screwdriver, and take it "slowly" the first time, your FW doesn't necessarily need to go on the shelf.

If you want a foot pedal that doesn't get warm when you use it, especially for slow sewing, then yes, change the pedal.

I think it's theoretically possible to have the pedal an issue IF the cushions on the bottom of the pedal are missing and IF the cushion screws were sticking out and touching metal or the water that someone mentions in a tip of the month somewhere, and IF there was something wrong inside the pedal causing that screw to be touching part of the mechanism that's carrying power. I really doubt that perfect storm is happening in your pedal. Again, assuming without pics.

I think it's far more likely that the thumbnuts where you connect the cord to the machine - the ones that you see when you turn the machine over to oil / grease the bottom - are hiding some bad wiring, or that the cord has cracks in it, and the wires are shorting.

My suspicion is that it's here, because usually it's got to be "touching" the item it's using for ground (in this case, the body of the machine), which is what's giving you the "buzz"

We've been looking at Alyce's pedal here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...p-t223839.html

If you look at her excellent photo, you'll see the cordset at the top of the photo, attached to 2 screws. That's it. That's all that's required to change this cord. The hardest part is routing the new cord so it sits flat.

The cord can be had from Sew-Classic (http://shop.sew-classic.com/Cord-Set...ers-SCE123.htm), or from Glenn Williams (I noticed you're in Florida, he is too - http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm (Number 15) and his cord is less money than Jenny's (SC) and I've dealt with him. He's good stuff.)

I think best case scenario is that it's the cord. Then you have 2 options, in the short term, you can use the cord from MILs machine with yours, preserving her machine if you'd like (though I'd say run hers periodically anyway, or when you decide to use it down the road, it may want more TLC than just a light oiling), or you can replace the cord (an $8 - $10.29 item)

I suspect though that the issue is at the machine side. Here's why: The last machine I serviced for a cord / pedal issue, the symptom was "machine went berserk, I had to unplug it to stop it" - the same thing that Alyce complained of. Most often, a short between the machine and the pedal manifests this way. Yours could be the exception though.

I am going to make a suggestion - if this machine goes on the shelf, put a note with it, saying that it needs some electrical work. Better still if you know what it is, mention that too, or at least that it's a shocking little thing. This way, down the road, if the machine goes to someone else without being fixed, they don't have to relearn what you have here

Whew!! Another novel! Sorry about that. I should just write a book and have done with it.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM

Wow! That's a lot of good information! Company left today, so maybe we can have a serious "look-see" this weekend and figure out the problem. Yes, you probably should write the book, but I'm sure glad to have you helping with this! This machine is the one I take on travels and such. It has had some repairs you wouldn't believe and we were told would probably not work, but my Dad did the repairs and he's gone now, so this is my favorite machine for many reasons. Anyways, we'll look and see if we can figure out the exact problem. Thanks for the "book!"
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Good Job Coopah. Please keep us up to date as to what you find!

What sort of repairs were done previously?
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 AM

Repairs? Not many as this little machine just keeps going and going! My Dad bought it at a flea market in the early 70's for $15. For another $15 it was serviced and came home stitching just great. That was a lot of money to me back then when I had $12 left to save or spend at the end of a month. Anyways, it has had the normal "check ups" except for the time it fell off a table and broke the thread up take arm. (The part that goes up and down with the thread to the needle.) So we took it to the sewing machine place and asked them about fixing it. They would charge $100 for the part (late 70's/early 80's) and I've forgotten how much to install the part and make it run correctly. So Dad asked about brazing the part. The repairman just looked at him like he was a crazy-man, but said, well, if you can do that, it probably won't work right because it has to be lined up just right to work. HA! So Dad did it and it is still working! Now the brazed part doesn't look beautiful except to me, because it shows the love of a Dad and the "can do" attitude he had. If Dad were still here, he'd be checking out this short, but I know I need to do it and will. :-) Thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM

That's a wonderful story Coopah! Honestly, in a lot of cases, especially where there's actual skill involved, you can do a lot with the existing parts. Sounds like you dad was really talented, and a great problem solver.

I will watch for your reply and see if we can't get you sorted out so you can continue using that little machine.