Featherweight vs. 99

Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Featherweight vs. 99

Hi everyone!
I have been wanting a Singer 99 for a while but the only one I've seen in person didn't sound good to me. For some reason, I have to like the sound of my machine. I don't much care about the cosmetics.
In general, is one quieter than the other? Maybe the 99 wasn't oiled properly? It sounded very clanky to me, if that makes sense.
I would like to buy a 99 but I know I won't use it if it doesn't sound smooth and quiet to me.
I'm not afraid to mess with it myself, apart from wiring.
I'd love opinions about the two types of machines -- advantages/disadvantages of each.
Thanks!
Ila
Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM

I have a 1934 99K, with original motor and lights, it was rewired a few years ago and it runs fine. My machine is oiled regularly and motor was regreased at the time of the rewiring, and it's not a noisy machine. I think they are all much the same when clean and lubricated. They come in three versions, the earlier has a knob for stitch length regulating, the two later version have a stitch length lever with backtack. I don't think there's noticeably differences between them regarding noise. I have a 201 with a belted motor, and it's not very far off from it when it comes to noise, the 201 is on the quiet side. If the 99 is working very hard there are vibrations, but with light to medium, even heavier fabrics it's fine. Flat felled seams on regular jeans weight material is no problem. It's when you push it's limits the vibrations starts to appear, but it will stand up to quite a bit of mistreatment.

Over the Featherweight the advantages would of course be size, and it's a built more sturdily. It's much heavier though. It has drop in class 66 bobbins, easy to find and easy to thread. I know some find the bobbin case on the Featherweight a bit fuzzy and problems with nesting, once sorted out they seem to work fine though. I'm not sure how you like yours regarding issues with tangling or changing the bobbin. The 99 is more solidly built, it will handle anything you can fit under the presser foot. It uses the same feet and accessories as the Featherweight. The only thing about it has to be the adjustment of the a setting in the bobbin area; it's not easy to get it right with out the service manual or looking up ArchaicArcanes guide for it.

I don't have a Featherweight to compare with unfortunately, but with the 99 it's all about oiling and cleaning, and paying attention to the under side of the case. The feet have often crumbled away, I have fitted large pieces of furniture felt pads in each corner and one in center. It works well. Placing the machine on a solid table with stable feet is a must, but that goes for all machines. Singer used to sell a rubber mat for the 3/4 size machine, I'm sure something similar can be cut out but I'm happy with the furniture felt. My great aunt used a piece from a cotton blanket. If this video is anything to go by, the Featherweight has nothing on my 99K when it comes to noise.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

I love my 99! It is a smooth, wonderful machine that creates the most beautiful accurate straight stitch. When precision really matters I turn to my 99. ��
Old 11-11-2015, 12:48 PM

I have zero luck with 99's, all my featherweights have been far superior in stitch quality and ease of use.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 PM

I think either one is a great machine. Just make sure when you are searching that you try them out and see if it is what you want. My 201 is very quiet and my FW is the same and they make the same stitches. My 99 right now is dead. I think just try them out. There are a lot of both machines out there to try. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:31 PM

My 201 and 99 make the same perfect stitches. It has to be about settings and maintanance. The 99 is a bit difficult to adjust if a screw in the bobbin area has been messed with, but once set, this is not something you need to pay much attention too. This setting is usually done buy a service guy, but with the right guide it can be a DIY job. There were a thread on this fairly recently. Redsquirrel and sewbeadit, you have to take a second look at your 99s! I always thought the Featherweights were more of a portable machine you needed to be a bit careful with, not so sure about that anymore. The 99 can be set up as a main machine and it will stand up to a lot of work any material with in reason. It's not as sought after as the Featherweight, prices are quite low even for machines in very good cosmetic condition.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-11-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:22 PM

I love my 99's, but I love the 66 just as much.. If you oil it, and lube the motor it should be fine..
Old 11-12-2015, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

Hand turn it and see if you hear the same noise. They do make noise if the bobbin area is full of lint. I prefer the 99 over the featherweight except when you have to lift them. I have a real old Singer 99 fitted with a hand crank. My grand daughter just loves that machine. It is so quiet and smooth. It is well worn or should I say just getting broken in... it will outlast my grand daughter IMHO. I think it is a matter of bobbin preference. If you have to take one apart the 99 wins hands down. They are much less expensive who knows why. The other couple cool beans machines 3/4 size are the Singer Spartan and the Singer 185. The Singer 66 is pretty much the same thing as the 99 but bigger than the 99. Another great machine besides the 201 is the 15 series. The older the better.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:04 AM

I'm guessing that the "clanking" one you mentioned is most likely in need of a good cleaning and oiling.
When my mother's machine needed oiling it made a "funny noise". As soon as you cleared out the lint and added those few drops of oil in the proper places it purred like a kitten again.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 AM

I have both and love them! Maybe that 99 needle was hitting the bobbin case wrong or it needed a little
Love of oil?