Featherweight vs. 99

Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 AM

I have both as well. Why limit yourself to one or the other - from someone who has NO room in her house! 99's can be had very reasonably. FW's not so much unless you are willing to be very patient for the right (for you) deal.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 AM

I have a number of 66s and 2 99s. Both of the 99s make a bit more sound than the 66s but not anything objectionable. The do need to be kept clean and oiled, that is the truth.

Also the bobbin case hold down has an adjustment between the springs of the hold down and the case. If someone has taken the screw out thinking that screw was to remove the bobbin hold down this adjustment will be messed up and the machine will make a clacking noise as it sews. I'm working on an early 99 in a knee bar case right now that had been bubba'd. I've got to dig out the specs and readjust the bobbin holder to quiet it down.

Joe
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 AM

Love my 99. Once properly oiled, it is the quietest machine I have ever worked with. I also love how lightweight the Featherweight is, but I think the 99 sews better.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:18 AM

I have a FW, two 99's, and also a 185 which is mechanically the same as a 99 but with a more modern body style.

Once properly cleaned and oiled, they are all fairly quiet-running, but they all sound different. My FW has a quiet, mechanical sort of "ticking" sound it makes as it sews that I actually like. The 99's have more of a "whirring" sound, but again, not unpleasant and not loud. My 185 is quietest of all I think, but it's also mounted in a heavier box than the 99's so that might be muffling some sound. If any of them make any loud (or loud-ish) noises I start looking for lint and dry gears.

99's are great little machines and I'd say when comparing them to FW's they fall short in two areas - one they're a LOT heavier, and two they don't have the little fold-out bed. On the other hand, I think they're stronger so if you're doing anything other than piecing quilting cotton, the 99 might be a better choice. They also have a bit more harp space than a FW.

99's are a LOT more available, you can find them very cheap if you look around. My two 99's and my 185 all added together cost me less than 1/2 what I paid for my FW, even after figuring in the cost of replacing the motor and light on one of the 99's.

Both are low shank so accessories that fit one should fit the other.

As a sewing machine junkie, I want to say just get both, you'll figure out which one you use the most in time.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
...I'd say when comparing them to FW's they fall short in two areas..., they don't have the little fold-out bed...
My 99 is in a domed case and it has a wooden extention table that fits on the side. It doesn't pack way as easily, but isn't a bother in anyway and it's larger than the Featherweight's.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:08 AM

I have two Singer 99- and I just love them! They are truly a good workhorse with an accurate stitch. I gave up looking for a reasonably priced featherweight. The going price for a 99 is around $50. My 1st 99 I paid $50 and it was in a cabinet. It appears to be an one owner and it is in beautiful shape. My other machine I paid $55 on eBay. It just needed a good cleaning. It is a portable. Since I'm short on time right now I took it to a repair shop to have it cleaned and oiled.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
My 99 is in a domed case and it has a wooden extention table that fits on the side. It doesn't pack way as easily, but isn't a bother in anyway and it's larger than the Featherweight's.
The case with the fold out bed is another of those things that were more common in other countries than here in the US. They do show up here from time to time but not very often. I'm on the hunt for a Brother case with the fold out extension, not easy to find, but I know they're out there.

Cari
Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kath12 View Post
I have two Singer 99- My 1st 99 I paid $50 and it was in a cabinet. It appears to be an one owner and it is in beautiful shape.
Nice find. The cabinets for a 99 aren't very common, I don't see them very often around here. I found mine at a garage sale ridiculously cheap but it's been painted white and has a cutesie knob on the drawer. Yuck.

Cari
Old 11-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 99. I already have some Featherweights (I'm addicted... but at least I can still count the number on one hand!) and two Kenmores. I really like the older, ornate decals on the 99 so I'll look for one of those. I toyed with buying a hand crank 99 but I'd probably have to buy one from England and have it shipped... not very cost-efficient.
Thanks for the great advice,
ila
Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I've seen those cases! Never been able to get my hands on one, though. Both of my 99's are in very plain, boxy wooden cases, without any frills.