Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Fetherwieght or 301A?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    63

    Question Fetherwieght or 301A?

    I am on the search for a machine I can take to quilting class with me. I love my Bernina 1090QE but she is heavy!! I dislike pulling her out of her table and lugging her up and down several sets of stairs. Featherweights are cuter and more collectible but also more expensive and BLACK. I live in the Pacific Northwest and anything black soaks up all of the little light we get. 301A's do come in other colors and are less expensive although a bit harder to find. I am checking Ebay but am afraid to purchase something before I can operate it. Of course money is an issue but I don't want to let a few bucks get in the way of finding something reliable. Do my generous Quilting Board members have any advice for me? Are there specific models I should look for, others I should avoid? Thanks so very much and have a peaceful Thanksgiving.

  2. #2
    Super Member janiesews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Iola KS
    Posts
    2,776
    Well I have both-and my 301A is in a little cabinet so I leave it at home and take my featherweight when going to retreats, classes etc. I love them both so can't tell you pros and cons. I bought my featherweight on ebay and found my 301A in a used furniture store (cheap too!) Good luck with your search and hope you find a machine at just the right price for you.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

  3. #3
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,994
    Featherweights also came in white (really a pale green) and tan. 301s came in tan and a tan and cream called mocha. So as for the color, either machine will work for you. The white and tan Featherweights will cost more since less were made and none were made in the states. They were imported into Canada. I have both a 310 and 221 and love them both! I haven't taken them to a class yet except with Dave McCallum of Featherweight RX for a cleaning and maint. class.
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

  4. #4
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by janiesews View Post
    Well I have both-and my 301A is in a little cabinet so I leave it at home and take my featherweight when going to retreats, classes etc. I love them both so can't tell you pros and cons. I bought my featherweight on ebay and found my 301A in a used furniture store (cheap too!) Good luck with your search and hope you find a machine at just the right price for you.
    Janie you do realize that you can just press one little lever on the cabinet and your 301 will come right out? It is totally portable, you can just place it right on a table top. The bottom is covered by a plate and it has feet. My 301 is my class buddy...it goes right into a wheeled tote and is easy to move around. It only weighs 16 pounds.

    I don't understand about the machine being black? They are shiny so should reflect light!

  5. #5
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    Featherweights also came in white (really a pale green) and tan. 301s came in tan and a tan and cream called mocha. So as for the color, either machine will work for you. The white and tan Featherweights will cost more since less were made and none were made in the states. They were imported into Canada. I have both a 310 and 221 and love them both! I haven't taken them to a class yet except with Dave McCallum of Featherweight RX for a cleaning and maint. class.
    Actually the solid tan is called Mocha, and the two tone is called Light Beige/Oyster White (or LBOW).

    There is a thread on here called Featherweight Club, and there is tons of info on there. Also one for 301s.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    middle TN
    Posts
    1,009
    I bought 2 ( a black and a tan ) of the 301's from Goodwill online and they work fine after I cleaned them up.
    If you live anywhere near Nashville, TN, I would sell one of them.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    55
    You can buy a cream colored FW, i have one and also a black one. The cream colored on come in a green and cream case.

  8. #8
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Actually the solid tan is called Mocha, and the two tone is called Light Beige/Oyster White (or LBOW).

    There is a thread on here called Featherweight Club, and there is tons of info on there. Also one for 301s.
    I was meaning that the tan on the tan & white one is called mocha, not the white part. Thanks for the technical terms for both. I would think it would be mocha and white, not light beige/oyster white. Not as tasty sounding! LOL!
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

  9. #9
    Super Member BarbaraSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    near Peoria Illinois
    Posts
    1,642
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have the 301. And I love her. She is lighter than my other machine that I was taking to workshops, so I can imagine that she will go in my wheeled case and travel wonderfully.
    I can't help you with a FW, as I don't have one. 301's can be less expensive to purchase, at least around here.
    Good Luck!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

  10. #10
    Junior Member karen924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern Pines, NC
    Posts
    193
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have been using my mothers 301A since I learned to sew. It is my favorite machine and soooo much lighter than my Bernina 200. I have a featherweight, but haven't used it much. I vote 301A or any 301.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.