Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found elegant "The Eldredge" in good cabinet >

Found elegant "The Eldredge" in good cabinet

Found elegant "The Eldredge" in good cabinet

Old 01-29-2016, 09:21 AM

No, your White foot will not work. the distance between the presser foot bar and needle bar is 1/2" for the National and 5/8" for the White. The gap the foot clips to is the same, though I've run into many National feet that were just a hair too narrow to slip on the White.

Put the foot on, put the needle down and the needle should be centered in the back of the slot of the foot. It will probably hit the back of the foot. This is very evident with feet that have needle holes instead of slots.

I'd post a photo showing both for you, but photobucket has been down all morning.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-29-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 AM

*** Nice catch. Sure is pretty.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:37 PM

I was afraid that might be the case. I noticed that National/Eldredge feet have a slight Z shape in profile to accommodate the shortened space--the manufacturer just bent a White foot a little. Oh, well. Including The Eldredge I have nine machines now (which utterly astounds me), so if I need a special foot, it certainly won't be a problem. It takes the anxiety out of the hunt for parts. Thank you for helping me, Cathy.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:44 PM

How can I find the year of manufacture? I've looked everywhere I can think of without success. Are there any serial number lists for National/Eldredge?
Old 01-30-2016, 06:37 PM

She's home! And cute as Christmas! I found that she was made between 1886-1897. On the back is written: "Improved Eldredge B". She isn't near mint, and not as fine as a Singer, but I think at her age we can say she's very good, with decals that have some dings but not anything remarkable. Very stiff, too. The needle that was in it is 'way too short, the needle hole is chewed up badly, and the presser foot is missing as is the belt. No wonder it wasn't used much. It probably wouldn't even form a stitch or keep the thread from shredding. It looks like all the Nationals of that era had the same presser foot system, so a foot from any of the other names would still fit (?). Do you agree? The cabinet is amazing. Some of Howard's and some wax will about do it. There are built-in steel rollers making it easy to move. The original key still works the lock on the door. I am so happy with her, and am grateful that most of the restoration consists of less than a dozen little jobs.
If I find the USB connector, I'll post some pictures showing the cabinet.
Pat
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 PM

Congratulations on your new "IEB". I noticed what I believe to be National / Eldredge attachments on ebay, just for reference. Cathy would know for certain or if anything is missing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Attachme...sAAOSwzhVWqrr3

Jon
Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 AM

You are mistaken on your dates. Very easy to do if you consider the Name - as Eldrege used it, and then National used it up until they went out of business, so it was used for about 50 -60 years.

Probably from 1910-1930 era. Main thing, it has tension on the nose and not the leaf tension on the top.

And the name "New Improved" Older ones do not have that on them. Though you will find even later styles with "New Improved" on them

Here is a picture of a very early Eldredge - before National was formed. This one is from before 1900

And one of the early ones after National was formed

The second one down is the one like yours - it was offered under many, many names.

Notice it's got the same decals as yours.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-31-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:02 AM

As to attachments, send me a PM and I can give you some info about them.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Hope you jump quick! Pretty machine!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the correction on dates of manufacture of my Eldredge.