Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hand wheel is not moving freely on red eye I'm redoing >

Hand wheel is not moving freely on red eye I'm redoing

Hand wheel is not moving freely on red eye I'm redoing

Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Default Hand wheel is not moving freely on red eye I'm redoing

I can't figure this one out. I'm rehabbing a red eye, I have it all cleaned and oiled inside and out. I took out bobbin assembly, dog feet assembly the works and Everything looks good. The timing seems to be right on and there are no loose threads anywhere. So now on working on the balance wheel and the belt and the wheel moves but not freely as in there's no extra spin. It moves as much as my hand moves it and no more.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM

I just had the same thing on a dressmaker. It has 3 belts on it, and we think it is that hard to go because of the stress on all the gears. They are different sizes, and we took it all apart and oiled and checked it. Also maybe the bearings are worn. The motor doesn't get hot or anything. The machine looks new, but it sure is hard to turn. It is quiet as can be.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:43 PM

It could be a number of things. Do you get any free wheeling when you loosen the locking screw?

When I oil a machine that has been locked up, it sometimes takes several days for the oil to work through the mechanism. I ran it every day to work the oil in.

The two places I find are responsible for binding are (in order) the needle mechanism under the end plate and the four corner pivots underneath (see picture). There are adjustment screws for some of these points and if someone clueless has tightened one, no amount of oil will help much.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469677[/ATTACH]

I would test (in order):
1. Loosen the locking screw and see if it freewheels (assume it will). If it binds, oiling the washer will probably fix it. If this fails...
2. Keep working the oil in over a few days. If this fails...
3. Check/oil the points in the picture and if all OK, make sure someone hasn't tightened any of the screws.
Attached Thumbnails 66kunderbed-360x240.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Also, make sure the belt is not too tight. A too tight belt will bind up the machine. The belt needs to be just tight enough to not slip.

Joe
Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
It could be a number of things. Do you get any free wheeling when you loosen the locking screw?

When I oil a machine that has been locked up, it sometimes takes several days for the oil to work through the mechanism. I ran it every day to work the oil in.

The two places I find are responsible for binding are (in order) the needle mechanism under the end plate and the four corner pivots underneath (see picture). There are adjustment screws for some of these points and if someone clueless has tightened one, no amount of oil will help much.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469677[/ATTACH]

I would test (in order):
1. Loosen the locking screw and see if it freewheels (assume it will). If it binds, oiling the washer will probably fix it. If this fails...
2. Keep working the oil in over a few days. If this fails...
3. Check/oil the points in the picture and if all OK, make sure someone hasn't tightened any of the screws.
1. Yes it free wheels very nicely with the locking screw loose once I start to tighten it it gets stiff again. Yes good idea I put a drop more oil on the stop motion washer, let's see if that helps.
2. I'm on day 2 with the oil and everything else has loosened up but the hand wheel.
3. The the adjustment screws on the pivoted points don't seem to ever have been touched and everything underneath moves well but not freely.
Ill put a belt on it tomorrow and see if I can get the oil really worked in,
BTW it stitches beautifully
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Also, make sure the belt is not too tight. A too tight belt will bind up the machine. The belt needs to be just tight enough to not slip.

Joe
Belts not on yet.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM

Mine freewheels too until I put it back together. However, I'm gonna check the 4 points on bottom, and Joe my belts seem loose enough, except there are 3 of them. I'm gonna loosen them too some more. That may be the problem. I made a mistake. I'm talking about a White instead of a dressmaker. And I'll keep oiling the washer too. I'm going to stay after it because it is impossible to turn the wheel by hand when sewing.

Last edited by barny; 04-01-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM

SMorris, sorry I butted in on your thread, but I need the information too. Forgive me?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
SMorris, sorry I butted in on your thread, but I need the information too. Forgive me?
No problem Were both working on the same issues.
Good luck in fixing your machine.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Smorris17119 View Post
I can't figure this one out. I'm rehabbing a red eye, I have it all cleaned and oiled inside and out. I took out bobbin assembly, dog feet assembly the works and Everything looks good. The timing seems to be right on and there are no loose threads anywhere. So now on working on the balance wheel and the belt and the wheel moves but not freely as in there's no extra spin. It moves as much as my hand moves it and no more.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you
All fixed, it took 4 days and lots of oil, I even had to wear a glove on my hand to move the balance wheel because of blisters. This morning I oiled everything yet again and stuck the the oil into two holes
on the balance wheel side of the arm. I don't know what the holes are for but the oiled got down to something and all of a sudan it just freed up. I probably should have sprayed PB in there in the beginning to loosen up everything but couldn't because of weather.
Thanks for your help and Barny hope your machine gets fixed.