Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New owner of Pfaff 130, handwheel spins freely on shaft >

New owner of Pfaff 130, handwheel spins freely on shaft

New owner of Pfaff 130, handwheel spins freely on shaft

Old 06-26-2018, 08:31 PM

Default New owner of Pfaff 130, handwheel spins freely on shaft

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me...I recently acquired a Pfaff 130, and am having trouble with the plastic (bakelite?) handwheel just spinning on the shaft instead of operating the machine. ( I'm pretty new to sewing machines but am somewhat mechanically inclined.)

I've taken the wheel and clutch piece off and reinstalled it both ways, but that made no difference. There apparently is isn't anything actually securing the handwheel to the shaft, but it looks like maybe there should be...there is a hole in the handwheel that I see lines up with another hole in the shaft. Am I missing a part that should be in there?

Thanks much in advance for any help. I've googled for an exploded parts diagram, but haven't found one.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 PM

Sounds like you need a set screw. I'm not sure where to get a new one though
Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 AM

Do you have all parts intact? Grub screw, washer with sort of three loabs, stop motion screw and hand wheel? I found these photos.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the replies! I have those parts, and the lobed 'washer' is what I meant when I said clutch piece in my first post. I tried installing that both ways, but it didn't make any difference. Here are some photos...on more thought is that maybe there should be something in the wide shallow groove in the shaft that secures the handwheel? Otherwise, it seems to be just a plastic handwheel sitting on a steel shaft with nothing connecting them together? The holes in the handwheel and steel shaft, and wide shallow groove, can be seen in these photos:

Old 06-27-2018, 08:14 AM

I don't have a 130 but I am betting there should be a set screw through that hand wheel and resting in the divot in the shaft. Prolly metric. You could take the handwheel to a hardware store to try and find a match. You may get a better answer. or someone with first hand knowledge my confirm this. or Hey maybe a parts diagram?