Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help need on Featherweight motor wiring connectors... >

Help need on Featherweight motor wiring connectors...

Help need on Featherweight motor wiring connectors...

Old 10-11-2012, 04:44 AM

Well, your collection is quite impressive. I will probably look for a machine for my treadle cabinet once my daughter finds her own place. Currently, I have no place to land my machines permanently except the kitchen table. My daughter and her two girls, 6 and 4, live with me and take up two of our three bedrooms. I plan to make the bigger of the two bedrooms into my sewing room, then I can set up all my machines. Of course, Birdie is my favorite.

Today, I should be receiving the last replacement parts for the refurbished FW. Small items like foot pads, a spool spring, and a couple of faceplate screws, nothing major. Got everything back together and just need to do a little touch up painting around the stitch regulator and give it a good wax. Will take pics of the big reveal this weekend hopefully.

In the meantime, I'm waiting on my next project to arrive in the mail. I found another FW on ebay for $125! It needs a foot pedal and plug, but I'm also going to repaint it. I swore I wouldn't deal with that stripper agent again...nasty stuff...burns like heck...but my DH said he loves doing the stripping...it's relaxing to him....yeah, right!? He can have that part of the process! Anyway, this FW will be for my 6 yr old g/d. She wants a pink machine with butterflies. It's going to look very girly when it's all done, but tastefully done so she will keep using it when she's older. My sister is an artist...I may ask her to paint a beautiful butterfly on it. She specializes in the trompe l'oeil style and will make the butterfly look like it's real.

Here is the before pic. This one is in good shape compared to the one I just refurbished. Talk with you soon, Julie
Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 AM

I just about finished my collection this weekend. There was an ad for a 221 and a 222 for $500 believe it or not, and it had been there since August. The 222 needed a motor, and they had to go as a pair. Typically here a 222 will go for anywhere between $800 and $1200. I emailed her and she said she still had it but had the flu, could I wait til the weekend. I replied that I could and gave her my availability, and told her we'd take the machines as soon as she was feeling better.

I didn't hear from her by Friday so I emailed again to see if she was better, and when we could meet on the weekend, and she replied that the machines were sold. I keep feeling like I messed that up somehow.

Yes! Kids take up a lot of space, and toilet paper, I can't figure that one out. Since our daughter moved out, we always have toilet paper, the house needs to be cleaned half to a third as often, and I have a sewing (machine) room.

How did the reveal go?

Hah! That's great! And better still that you don't have to do the stripping.

I found that little FW that I've been using for pictures for you for $100. The guy advertised it as a "Small Singer sewing machine" not a featherweight. He had trouble selling it because it was being sold for a friend and he couldn't negotiate on the price. I recognized it from a 1" wide picture and called him for it. When I got there, it was not able to sew, there was probably 10 ft of thread behind the bobbin case. I was stunned. I had no idea you could get that much back there. I showed the guy tons about the machine, and he gave me $5 off for the chat.

Pink's not really my color, but if it gets the butterfly, I'd sure like to see it! I like that style of painting, and I think it would look really interesting on a featherweight...
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 AM

Hi -- sounds to me like the lady decided to keep the machines. That was wrong to sell them out from under you the way she did. Maybe someone tipped her off as to how much the 222 is on it's own and she decided to keep them both. Anyway, keep looking or maybe she will change her mind.

The big reveal didn't happen as planned because I didn't get all the parts until last night. Today is my daughter's 27th birthday so I won't get to work on the machine tonight. Tomorrow is babysitting night so not tomorrow night either. Thursday is knit night with friends and Friday is babysitting night again. Saturday I'm taking an old quilt to be appraised at a quilt show and babysitting again Sat. night. Looks like I won't have any time to myself to work on the machine until Sunday. ughh!! My sister is in nurses training and I don' know if she will have time to paint a butterfly like I'd like on the machine, but I'll ask her and see what she says. I know it will be beautiful. Here's here website: www.repettostudios.com. Check it out! Chat soon!! - Julie