Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help please, info on this singer treadle >

Help please, info on this singer treadle

Help please, info on this singer treadle

Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Help please, info on this singer treadle

I just purchased this machine. I paid $150 for it which I think might have been too much, but I talked the lady down from $200 and I really wanted it, plus I think she needed the money, so I'm not upset about that. My question is, Is it a red-eye and where I can I found out about getting some restoration done on it. It does sew but I don't think the bobbin winding works. The serial number on it is G2287153.
I think that makes it a 1912. It's really rough but I believe there is a diamond in there . Thank you for your help. I am in southern Oklahoma if you all know someone in the area.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Yes, it is a Singer Red Eye. It looks like it has been well used. Two of my favorite 66's are those that were heavily used and the decals are thin-to-bare where the yards and yards of fabrics have rubbed its finish over the decades. Those machines are so smooth running.

There are several tut's in this forum on cleaning up and oiling these machines. Muv has a great video. If you choose to repair the veneer there is help for that in this forum also. Just do some searches here and on the www and you'll be able to get your new baby up and running by yourself.

Also, if you ask a questions here there will be many experts that will chime in with helpful advice for you.

You are right, there is a diamond in there
Old 06-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Yes, that is a red-eye. A very well used machine. The decals are exposed and have had most of the gold rubbed, worn, or cleaned off.

The easiest thing to do with this machine is get some sewing machine oil, cotton balls and clean it yourself. Oil the dickens out of it and start sewing. No need to pay someone to do something you can do yourself.

Muvs tutes are in the sticky section at the top of the Vintage machine section ( this one ). Skip ( forum name Glenn ) has several threads about fixing and repairing machines and cabinets.

I've got a couple here, Miriam has, Candace, Mizkaki, Arcaic Arcane, SteveR, Grand15clone, lots of us have done this and made machines sew up a storm.

The problem with your bobbin winder is lack of oil, gummed up old oil, and a hardened and cracked drive tire.

Sew-Classic has you covered.

Joe
Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I bought some sewing machine oil today, so I will get after it. I don't know how the pics came out upside down when they were right side up on my IPAD. Sorry about that. I'd fix them if I knew how to do it.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Yes, that is a red-eye. A very well used machine. The decals are exposed and have had most of the gold rubbed, worn, or cleaned off.

The problem with your bobbin winder is lack of oil, gummed up old oil, and a hardened and cracked drive tire.

Sew-Classic has you covered.

Joe
Joe: I found the sew-classic website and looked up the bobbin winder tire. How do I know which group of parts will fit this machine? They had the 15- and 201 and 301. I read Billy's instructions on cleaning and watched the English lady's youtube video. She doesn't say what kind of metal polish to get in the tube or where one might find it. Any suggestions?
I like the idea of getting it spruced up my self, but I don't think I want to tackle the cabinet work. Thanks again for your help. Most likely it will be next weekend again before I actually get to work on her. I started reading the sticky thread on Vintage Sewing Machine Shop, but at more than 4000 entries and a lot just chatting it will take me forever to get through it. I think I have a good start at what to do now, though. Hope you all don't get tired of my questions before it's over with. LOL
Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM

johnette,

Please, please, please IGNORE Billy's cleaning instructions. They are far far far to aggressive. I have almost destroyed some of the decals on my first 66 redeye with his instructions. Those instructions should be deleted from this forum completely.
Use MUVs or Skips instructions and you'll be a lot happier.

That said, your 66 will take the most common bobbin winding tire; 15287 found here { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bobb...-Tires_c16.htm } It's the first one on the page.

If you haven't found Skips threads and tutes, here is the links for two of them: { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html } and { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ts-t97670.html }

Muv's tutes, videos and other tips are in this 8 page thread: { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html } started by Miriam.

As for the polish, I use Kit Wax for cars. The non polishing type. No abrasives. I does put a protective coating on the surface but does not damage exposed decals.

Joe
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Johnette, please listen to Joe! Those instructions of Billy's have ruined more than one machine's decals...

For shiny metal, I use Mother's Mag Polish. For the machine finish, I use MacGuire's Carnauba car wax, it gives a nice gloss and I like the smell!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:14 PM

OK, I ordered the bobbin winder tire, I got 5 of them, don't know how fast they wear out but I figure they will take it through the next 100 years, maybe. I also ordered the little red felt because there was a minimum amount to buy. I will look for the ingredients you have recommended when I get the chance to go shopping again. Probably not till Friday. In the mean time is it okay to work on the shiny parts with sewing machine oil? And what about WD40. I can't get the center knob on the flywheel to turn at all. Thank you for your help. I will try to be a good and diligent pupil.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Skip has done the most beautiful work on the machine's finish - I've been down to his house - then we tried it at home. What he says works. If you have questions ask. Muv has a wonderful tutorial on cleaning. If you get stuck ASK! Here is a manual that might help with the mechanical end of things: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ Some times the most beat up ugly machine works better than the beautiful. Maybe because so much love... Different machine, but here is something my sister and I did for my mom a couple years ago maybe something there will help: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html I would love to use Glen's methods and fix the finish on Mom's machine but she was nervous enough letting us just clean it... LOL
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 PM

I bought the mothers mag and aluminum polish and PB blaster today. Do I use PB blaster on the inside parts or just just the mothers mag polish? The insides look really bad and gummed up. It's a little overwhelming for me. I don't want to mess anything up. I polished the head cover for over an hour. I know I made headway, but it still has a long way to go. At this rate it will take me a year at least. I don't think this machine has been cleaned in at least fifty years, maybe never.