Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help Smoking Featherweight Motor

You can go underneath the bottom of the machine and disconnect them from the cord block I believe.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I like the old fashioned black ones. I've found that contrary to the add hype the amber cogged belts slip more and don't last near as long as the black ones.

Joe
    I believe the same. The cogged belts on a cogged wheel are great. on the "smooth" wheel, they have less of a "contact patch" than a original belt that touches all around. And they ugly!(cogged belts)
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

OH NO! I just poked out a grease wick! Just one of them that is inside the motor. I have a feeling I shouldn't have done that. Rookie mistake number one. Is there any way to fix this?

I'm having trouble picturing what you've done. Do you have a way to post a pic? Most things in these motors are really easy to fix Don't worry too much.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Okay I got the wick back in. Happy dance!

Update- I got her all cleaned up inside the motor. Put the whole thing back together. And IT WORKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Novice View Post
    Update- I got her all cleaned up inside the motor. Put the whole thing back together. And IT WORKS!!!

Congrats! YAY!!! *claps*

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Novice View Post
    You are some kind of AWESOME!!

good job! Mine has been in its case for a year or more, it began running very very slowly. I've read one suggestion to run it pedal to the metal for 10 minutes or more...not been willing to try it. it is a 50's model in excellent condition otherwise.

As I said before, oil the machine, the old oil may be gumming up. Lube the motor, clean the brushes and armature ( don't need to take the whole motor apart to do that) and then run it up.

And make sure the belt is not too tight. That will slow one down real bad.

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast