Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help Smoking Featherweight Motor >

Help Smoking Featherweight Motor

Help Smoking Featherweight Motor

Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
good job! Mine has been in its case for a year or more, it began running very very slowly..
I've had a couple of FW's that ran slowly and the issue was in the foot controller. It's a very easy adjustment.

If you are interested I can tell you more about it when I get on my big computer.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 PM

Well, the last message in this thread was in May 2013, but... I have a question. How do I clean the armature without taking the motor apart? My 1936 FW (new to me) has a slightly smoky motor. I just oiled and lubed it... could that be the problem? Anything you guys can suggest?
Ila
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 PM

Ila,

If you just oiled the motor, yes that could be the problem. FW motors require grease, not oil. If you greased the motor and oiled everything else, just run the motor at max speed for a few minutes till it clears all oil out.

To clean the commutator (the part the brushes fit against) just gently remove the brushes and clean it off with a q-tip soaked with alcohol. Clean the brushes, springs, brush tubes and caps too. Then run it at max speed for a few minutes.

Hopefully that will clear it out.

Joe
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 AM

Thanks, Joe! I greased the motor and oiled everything else. I can't vouch for what any previous owner might have done, but I followed the rules! I will try contacting the seller to see if he/she knows much about the history of this machine and whether it was used recently or not.
One of the brush caps is broken, so I am going to wait until the new one arrives and then I'll remove the brushes and clean them and the tubes. Denatured alcohol, right?
Ila
Again, thanks.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:51 AM

Ila,

Yes, denatured alcohol is what I use.

Joe
Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Friend of mine was complaining about her FW smoking. She oils everything. Never looks at a manual. Am going to tell to quilt oiling and read the manual.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Friend of mine was complaining about her FW smoking. She oils everything. Never looks at a manual. Am going to tell to quilt oiling and read the manual.
Hopefully she hasn't ruined the motor by now.

You could tell her she needs a new modern never needs oiling machine, then make her a trade to rescue the FW.

Joe