Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many of us Quilt on a Treadle? >

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM

:mrgreen: Well,I thought I was an odd one there for awhile.I did my very first quilt on a treadle and it was out of this world.I loved it.It was made of my childrens pjs,favorite dresses,shirts,blankets,etc.Talk about the memories.My children are all grown up and married or with children of their own.I no longer have my faithful ole' gal but now I have an electric one but believe you me I don't forget the fun or memories it has made. If i ever have the chance to get another treadle I will be honored to have it in my home.blessings,quilt-n-frenz(Vickie) :mrgreen:
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM

a modern Janome treadle machine is about $300. You do have to find the treadle mechanism and cabinet from antique treadle but I have found they are given away, found cheap at auctions $5 to $100 depending on the cabinet condition and who is attending the auction & even some 2nd time around shops have them at a very affordable price. Check it out - you may be able to afford a treadle sooner than you think.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM

Here is where I purchased my Janome Treadle and where I get all my sewing machine parts & service. Chad is great at taking care of your machines and giving prompt customer service.
www.rapidcitysewing.com
Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM

I will inherit a Featherweight when my SIL goes, but that is along way off, I hope. (I really like my SIL).
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Well isn't this a big coincidence?
My girlfriend just gave me her Singer Treadle cabinet that was in her barn, and my husband and I started to fix it up. I went onto Ebay for a giggle to see if they had any machines....
Long story short, I am awaiting my Singer #66 "Red Eye"!!! Was made on July 10th, 1919...
I am so excited, I don't think I will be able to sleep until it gets here!
It has all the attachments with it, such as ruffler etc...
We are hoping it only needs the belt!
Since the cabinet is coming out so cool and the treadle looks great in its refinished black iron and it's Tiger wood, we are going to keep it in our main living room and I intend on trying to use it while watching tv!!
Wish me luck!!
Should I send pictures when I get it all together???????
Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 PM

I collect old sewing machines and I have eight treadle machines amongst my collection, the smoothest sewer is a 201K from early fifties, though I love my Bebarfield Bluebird, which is actually a Vickers machine. I use all my treadles. I have one Singer which is a treadle that does zig zag. I find that I slow down mentally when sewing on them, a bit like you said, you step back in time. It is relaxing, as long as they are behaving on the day of course! I love them all and do have the latest big Janome quilter and also two embroidery machines but somehow the treadles are much nicer to just sit at. Perhaps the computers on the modern machines mean that we in fact are not so in touch with what we are doing, with the treadle the power comes from you, not a wall plug carrying electricity. In essence you are totally involved in the creative process, it is your body power controlling the machine......
Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

I will do a tutorial on this one when I start working on it, but I am going to make a small power station to sit on my treadle in the Sunroom when the power goes out.

I have a 12 volt generator off of a '58 T Bird and I have to pick up a power inverter but I will mount everything to a wooden cradle and have it where I can hook it up on my treadle. That way I can hook up my coffee maker, TV and laptop to it and treadle away!!

Billy

Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 PM

My treadle is an 1898 Singer, that I went to town with my father to buy when
my mother would not let him mend his jeans on her machine.
Do you have any tips, on how to bring it back into service after it has been
idle for sometime? It was working great the last time that he used it, but
I have not used it since it arrived on my door step.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 AM

I have a treadle that I purchased several years ago for $100. Its a 'Cadillac" top of the line, gorgeous cabinet, 6 storage drawers. I taried sewing some polyester fabric on it and it skipped like crazy. It sews fine on cotton! My hubby reminded me that they didnt have polyester when they sewed on those machines. lol I guess he was right (again) I have plans to make a simple 9 patch quilt on it.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:52 AM

ops- tried sewing polyester-- I can sew- didnt say I could type lol