Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ? >

How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ?

How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:27 PM

Default How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ?

how much do you guys think this red eye (66) sewing machine cost ? it has cabinet but no motor but it's working. she's asking $45 ?? she can't find the motor as they packed it to store in storage. i'd rather ask you guys as opposed to google as you're the experts. thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2013-12-09-5.24.06-pm.png  
Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM

is this spartan worth $30 ?
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2013-12-09-5.29.55-pm.png  
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 PM

Neither one is a bad looking machine and if the cost is right to you and the seller then it's "worth it". There is such a range of prices out there that I say if it makes you happy with what you get then go for it.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Check ebay's closed auctions and your local CL to get an idea of "worth" and price.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Check the wiring.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by trivia42 View Post
Neither one is a bad looking machine and if the cost is right to you and the seller then it's "worth it". There is such a range of prices out there that I say if it makes you happy with what you get then go for it.
thanks. but that is the problem as i am a newbie so have no idea what is a good price or not ?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
thanks. but that is the problem as i am a newbie so have no idea what is a good price or not ?
You're missing the hint vmaniqui. There are a million variables to how much something will sell for (where you live, condition, demand, supply), but the only one that determines how much it's worth is how much someone's prepared to pay. We all do research and learn this, and we'd encourage you to do the same. The 66 cost a lot more than $45 when it was new and will outperform a plastic sewing machine in stitch quality and longevity. However, not that many people are prepared to buy one, so the plastic ones usually go for more money. If you buy an old machine you'll be adopting it. You'll love and enjoy it for a long time and you probably won't even remember how much it was.
It's in nice shape and is a side clamping model, so I would pay $45 for it. Then again I have some spare motor/lights hanging around waiting to go on such a machine. I imagine it would be more of a hassle for you as a newbie to source a motor and light.
If I were asked for advice (and I believe we are), your first old sewing machine should be complete and working, and this one isn't complete. Just because the crank turns doesn't mean it's working either.

EDIT: I see you posted the Spartan, too. If it's complete and it feels right (this is really important) pay $30 and take it home. I had one of these and didn't really like it, but they're quite a good machine.

Last edited by manicmike; 12-09-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
You're missing the hint vmaniqui. There are a million variables to how much something will sell for (where you live, condition, demand, supply), but the only one that determines how much it's worth is how much someone's prepared to pay. We all do research and learn this, and we'd encourage you to do the same. The 66 cost a lot more than $45 when it was new and will outperform a plastic sewing machine in stitch quality and longevity. However, not that many people are prepared to buy one, so the plastic ones usually go for more money. If you buy an old machine you'll be adopting it. You'll love and enjoy it for a long time and you probably won't even remember how much it was.
It's in nice shape and is a side clamping model, so I would pay $45 for it. Then again I have some spare motor/lights hanging around waiting to go on such a machine. I imagine it would be more of a hassle for you as a newbie to source a motor and light.
If I were asked for advice (and I believe we are), your first old sewing machine should be complete and working, and this one isn't complete. Just because the crank turns doesn't mean it's working either.

EDIT: I see you posted the Spartan, too. If it's complete and it feels right (this is really important) pay $30 and take it home. I had one of these and didn't really like it, but they're quite a good machine.
thanks for the inputs. this is not actually my first antique machine. i am a newbie but got myself a singer 16-188 (industrial) that i am working on (cleaning, fixing cabinet), i also have a 201-2 that i am working on the cabinet (total repainting), i also have a 99K (the aluminum model) that i am working on as the thread tension is not ok yet and a featherweight 221-1. i got all these machines in the last 2 months. i guess i got the antique bug. the reason is i am a newbie on the prices of the antique sewing machines. appreciate the feedback and will keep this in mind.

i may pass up on the spartan as i have no idea what this machine can do and what it's real worth. thanks,

Last edited by vmaniqui; 12-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Banned

the spartan is the Singer 99 made in Great Britain. It's a really good machine in my experience.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 PM

I think the Spartan is a pretty nifty little machine. only 3/4 size but does a beautfiul straight stitch. is easy to maintain for yourself too. I have one and love it.