Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ? >

How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ?

How much should this Rey Eye (66) cost ?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM

The Spartan is pretty much the same as a 99-just a lower priced model usually missing features like the light and IIRC they have a plastic base instead of coming in a nice case like the 99s. At $30 and in a cabinet made for a 3/4 size machine I would be inclined to get it. The red eye needs work- it looks like the tension assembly is missing but the decals appear to be in good shape. I couldn't say if it's worth $45 to you or not. New reproduction decals cost more than that machine so if you want a red eye that one may be a good starting point. My favorite machine so far is my newer model 66 so to me they are good machines.
As others have already said worth is entirely decided by the buyer and seller at that particular time and for that particular machine. There are too many variables like regional market conditions and the machine's condition to accurately price a machine long distance.As far as I know there are no blue books for these old machines.

I was looking at a Westinghouse New Automatic today at a local thrift store. The needle doesn't move when the handwheel is turned, a cover plate was missing and the oak cabinet was missing the lid and needed refinished. They want $59.00 for it. I don't have the $ right now but I thought it was worth it even with the missing parts and problems with the cabinet as long as the motor ran-I didn't check. The decals on it were in great shape, it has an unusual potted motor and I know the machine would clean up nicely. Others would walk right by with the problems the machine has though.
Rodney
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
the spartan is the Singer 99 made in Great Britain. It's a really good machine in my experience.
might think about it and for $30 not a bad investment. thanks.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The Spartan is pretty much the same as a 99-just a lower priced model usually missing features like the light and IIRC they have a plastic base instead of coming in a nice case like the 99s. At $30 and in a cabinet made for a 3/4 size machine I would be inclined to get it. The red eye needs work- it looks like the tension assembly is missing but the decals appear to be in good shape. I couldn't say if it's worth $45 to you or not. New reproduction decals cost more than that machine so if you want a red eye that one may be a good starting point. My favorite machine so far is my newer model 66 so to me they are good machines.
As others have already said worth is entirely decided by the buyer and seller at that particular time and for that particular machine. There are too many variables like regional market conditions and the machine's condition to accurately price a machine long distance.As far as I know there are no blue books for these old machines.

I was looking at a Westinghouse New Automatic today at a local thrift store. The needle doesn't move when the handwheel is turned, a cover plate was missing and the oak cabinet was missing the lid and needed refinished. They want $59.00 for it. I don't have the $ right now but I thought it was worth it even with the missing parts and problems with the cabinet as long as the motor ran-I didn't check. The decals on it were in great shape, it has an unusual potted motor and I know the machine would clean up nicely. Others would walk right by with the problems the machine has though.
Rodney
thanks Rodney. you're right about the tension assembly - it is missing. motor is gone and tension assembly too then that will cost me more than $60 for those missing parts. maybe not a good deal after all. the spartan may be all worth it for $30.

Last edited by vmaniqui; 12-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I think the Spartan is a pretty nifty little machine. only 3/4 size but does a beautfiul straight stitch. is easy to maintain for yourself too. I have one and love it.
hmm. will go ahead and check it also.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
hmm. will go ahead and check it also.
Your 201-2 will beat anything else, though. Fantastic machine and with add-ons will be able to do just about anything beautifully. Your industrial sounds nifty.
Hell, just get one of each - it's what I'm doing
Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what Manicmike and Rodney say about the 99. Rodney, I don't know about that other one... I would pass on it at that price.
I gave a Spartan to my DGDs to use - they think it is cute and love to sew on it. It is a great machine. That is a good price - Cleaned, oiled and adjusted to sew it would be worth more even here.

Last edited by miriam; 12-10-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM

The Redeye is missing the tension..and the spool pin...bargaining points.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Your 201-2 will beat anything else, though. Fantastic machine and with add-ons will be able to do just about anything beautifully. Your industrial sounds nifty.
Hell, just get one of each - it's what I'm doing
i know. this hobby is so addicting. sometimes having 1 of each is nice but sometimes it's not enough. we want more, we want more - ha ha ha. but that's what i am trying to do. getting one of each except for featherweight which i intend to have at least 2. thanks.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
The Redeye is missing the tension..and the spool pin...bargaining points.
motor is missing and i bargained. but seller is firm on the price. i will tell them the tension assembly is missing and also the spool pin (didn't see that at first) and i will bargain again. if they say no then i will pass. thanks.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Ditto what Manicmike and Rodney say about the 99. Rodney, I don't know about that other one... I would pass on it at that price.
I gave a Spartan to my DGDs to use - they think it is cute and love to sew on it. It is a great machine. That is a good price - Cleaned, oiled and adjusted to sew it would be worth more even here.
seller of the 99 spartan is trying hard to get. i emailed so many time and nothing. we will see how it goes. i am working on my 201-2 cabinet at the moment. it's so cold here in SF (about 22 deg) and i didn't want to start painting with too much moisture. i might wait till it get's a little bit warm. but you're right about the 201-2 as being a workhorse. a friend of mine saw it and she wanted to buy it right away. didn't say yes as i like to keep this one. i told her i will just look for one for her. thanks.