I Have Angered The Wife.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:20 AM

Lack of room and our humidity here in cen FL are why I quit buying, but I still look.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Hey, at least you have a hobby that is useful and healthy! The mechanical ability is a skill!

(Your wife may disagree on the "healthy" part but I think we all know there are far worse ways out there to occupy time!)
Old 07-21-2014, 02:47 PM

I've got both machines home and unloaded.
First up the White:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484422[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484423[/ATTACH]
The White is in decent cosmetic shape other than the cracked handwheel but needs some serious help. It appears to be frozen pretty much solid plus it's missing the bobbin cover plate and one of the spool pins is broken off. The cabinet is particle board under the wood veneer and is starting to swell and pop next to the machine hinges. I already have more than enough cabinets so I'll probably salvage the hardware and scrap the cabinet. This machine will be a future project. I've got 4 or 5 other machines ahead of it before I do anything with this one.

Here's the other machine, this was more money than the White and mostly why my wife was mad.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484421[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484424[/ATTACH]
It's a Singer model 27 I bought as a parts machine. I didn't want to say much about it until it was home. The wooden table is in really poor shape and the two banks of drawers that should have been on the sides are long gone. The center drawer-the only one left- is the same pattern as the one I needed for the machine Kayluvstoquilt here on the forum gave me. The drawer needs some help, it's missing part of the applique on the front and is starting to delaminate. It's also walnut instead of oak. I think it will be fine though. It's pretty hard to see the difference under the applique and stain. I already tried it and it does fit "Ella" the machine Kate gave me. Now that I have the drawer I can get serious about getting Ella restored and in the living room where she belongs.
I also needed some of the treadle parts for a second machine, a Singer model 15 treadle that was given to me recently so this base will help 2 other machines be restored to working status again.
I would have spent more for the needed parts for the two machines and shipping than I did on the whole machine so I'm happy.
The machine itself turns freely and appears to be in good mechanical shape. By some happy coincidence it's also the same decal pattern as my other 27. As a happy bonus when I was loading the machine I discovered a bag hidden under the machine that holds 2 shuttles and 8 bobbins for it along with the missing slide plate and a few other goodies. The extra parts will make me able to get the head working again. I'm thinking about building a case for it and fitting it with a hand crank.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails blue-white-27-parts-treadle-001.jpg   blue-white-27-parts-treadle-003.jpg   blue-white-27-parts-treadle-004.jpg   blue-white-27-parts-treadle-002.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM

Pheasant decals are pretty uncommon. You get a brownie point for finding one. Does that help???
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Pheasant decals are pretty uncommon. You get a brownie point for finding one. Does that help???
Probably not.
Rodney
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I am sure she will get happy again in a few days.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 AM

Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM

How many men does it require to sew a seam.......(hint-"quilting a football field)(2nd hint- hand crank serger???? )

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 07-22-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:19 AM

I have decided there should be a new type of currency to describe the value of machines (particularly apt, considering so many ask :P) and the new currency shall be known as $SDU (Spousal Disapproval Units). Your machine could be as worth as much as $500 SDU Rodney! Whereas something like a Featherweight might be worth only $25 SDU.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 AM

She's over it. Her anger wasn't unjustified, we're on a fixed income so money is always an issue but given I had a need for that specific style of drawer along with some of the iron parts on the treadle and the price was right I decided to get it while I had the opportunity. I would have paid far more for the individual parts on Ebay, especially after shipping. I've also pretty well filled any available space we had with sewing machines. The only additional one I can justify from an actual need might be a free arm machine. But then how often is that actually needed?
One of my biggest problems is I like them all. It makes it hard to part with any of them but I am considering selling one or two mainly because of the space issues.
Rodney