Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway... >

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

Old 03-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Well it has been a while - bump
Old 03-11-2016, 09:09 PM

My rocketeer throat plate will not elevate nor allow me to remove it. I've soaked it with tri-flow for a while and still no movement. I was able to remove the bobbin case and get out all the lint I could see and used a pipe cleaner to hopefully get the dog feeds cleared. Any other suggestions for getting the throat plate unjammed?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

Did you oil the linkage and the part that is supposed to go up and down? Those can be a pain in the neck to get to move. I had to take one apart once and replace a part. It was a little tricky. If you use heat, there are some plastic or nylon parts in the elevator piece so be careful with heat. Somewhere I saw an illustration of what to oil. For the linkage, turn the machine on edge and track where the lifter goes clear to the elevator. You will need to oil all along the path any places that join or move. I don't know if the manual has anything about oiling points on that. Usually tri-flo gets that moving but I've had a few that didn't move well until the oil soaked in good. Turn the machine over a different direction and re-oil. I'm glad you were able to get some lint out of there. It should run a bit better. Put a drop of oil below that where metal goes around. When I take the throat plate off, I pull the needle and the presser foot. Then I raise the throat plate, lower the feed dogs and slide the plate out. It won't go straight off.

Last edited by miriam; 03-12-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Banned

Once you do get those pins to come up so you can slide the plate off, you'll have to raise and lower them about 675 times to get them to move freely every time, but be very careful doing it. If you break one of those pins, that's it.

Cari
Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 PM

I have oiled everywhere I can get to along the elevator using the tri-flow straw to try to guide it into those small places. Now it didn't occur to me to take it out to the cabinet, oil and lay it at a different angle. I'll give that a try as well. There is a plastic piece with a flat screw slot is that removeable?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Don't fool with plastic
Those pins only go so far up but you will need you oil, wiggle, oil over a few days. Does the lever move at all?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Once you do get those pins to come up so you can slide the plate off, you'll have to raise and lower them about 675 times to get them to move freely every time, but be very careful doing it. If you break one of those pins, that's it.

Cari
Did the Victorian Sweatshop meet out there this week?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:43 PM

I keep a 3/4" watercolor brush with my machine, and brush out the throat-plate lint every time I change the bobbin.
My manufacturer says oil every two hours of sewing time.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Did the Victorian Sweatshop meet out there this week?
It's tomorrow Miriam. I can't wait! I know I won't sleep tonight.
I've been running around today looking for tie downs that fit the storage area of the back of my car(stupid things are still a dealer only item) and went to storage to get some machines. I was only able to get two from storage, the others and the little cabinet I wanted to bring are buried, no way for me to move enough stuff by myself to get at them.

Cari
Old 03-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I hear that about moving machines. They are HEAVY...at least lint is easy to lift.
Oreo, I think you might make a new thread about that elevator either here or join the Victorian sweatshop forum and make a new thread on there where a lot of knowledgable people are gathering these days.