Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine >

Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine

Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine

Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Default Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine

Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine they are asking $ 150.00 for it. I'ts 200 miles from me and I'm wondering if it's able to sew heavy fabrics and will stand up to denim and flannel. I know nothing about buying an older machine or what I should pay for one or the brand / year I should be looking for. All I know is I really don't like the newer machines my Janome feels like I'm sewing on a little child's machine, and I miss sewing on something more substantial. Like my grandmothers older Omega. I have been searching for an older sewing machine in decent condition but, that is all I know about them.. metal body. I'm not even sure what gear set up I should be looking for. I sew quilts and multi layers - my new sewing machine bulks at " too many layers" I want something that will sing. Any advice?[ATTACH=CONFIG]449510[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 00d0d_8uqqbvvzmxl_600x450.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 PM

I'd check a thrift store first, that sounds like a bit of money unless it's in great shape and a great cabinet. I'm really new at this so you may want to listen to more experienced voices.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:47 PM

I don't think I would pay over $75. If it is your first vintage machine and were closer then pay no more than $100. And that only if it has a decent cabinet, the instruction book, attachments and decorative stitch cams (it looks as if it uses them). Take into consideration also that you would have to make a 400 mile trip.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:08 PM

I paid $125 for my 1803 delivered to my door. Then I paid another $40 to get the full attachment set (four boxes).

My DH can get them adjusted and up and running, so I don't worry about those costs, or getting one that is recently serviced, but I do make sure it runs. Mine also does chain stitch, and that is the main reason I bought it. It's still in line waiting to be gone over before I do any sewing on it so can't tell you how it performs, but it appears to be a good solid workhorse.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 PM

I thought it was a bit much for the drive and the age. The attachments are supposed to be with it but, I don't know what kind of working condition it's in. If I drive all the way there I feel as if I'm committed in buying it. ( due to the drive). I want to thank you for the comments - I'm going to look closer to home and the thrift stores. I really appreciate your help. I almost thought Ebay with shipping would have been better . I'm confuzzled :P
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM

I would buy a good old Kenmore easily, but they aren't hard to find. Keep searching Craigslist; I'm sure one will come up for at least half the price. Remember you will need it cleaned at the very least, and if you don't do it yourself, you'll have to pay someone to do it. I would try to find one that someone just wants to get out of their basement. Here in Maryland I've seen Kenmores from $25 to $150. I think TX and MD markets are similar, from what I've seen. Bottom line, whatever machine you're looking to buy, ask yourself if it's worth it to YOU, and figure in $100 for a service fee from your sewing machine shop. Make SURE it has a manual or that you can find one online BEFORE you buy.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 PM

You can always try shopgoodwill as well. Kenmore isn't usually a hot model there so good deals can be had. I have a 158.18130 and it's a super solid machine. I bought it for $30 and cleaned out quite a bit of thread then oiled it up. She runs pretty sweet now. I think I have $10 in other parts that I replaced and I need to hunt down some cams for it.

Texas is hard for machines for some reason. Be patient.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanks Zozee, I will take my time with this - you all are so great Lots to think about. I need it for practical reasons and it needs to be able to sew flannel and denim layers. ( My Janome Magnolia) goes all wonky on my with layers. I feel like it's going to break...it makes me cringe. I really want something sturdy and reliable. I'm so thankful for this thread and knowledgeable advice.

PS: Any suggestions for a machine I should be looking for?

Last edited by SumikoKeel; 12-01-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Texas, seems to be a rough place to find machines in thrift shops I have been looking locally. I may venture out a little... to Longview and Tyler...
Old 12-01-2013, 06:19 PM

If you don't need zigzag or decorative stitches, I would look for a Singer 15-91 or a Singer 201-2.