Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over >

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Old 04-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Yay! I found a place that has 2 gallons of naptha in another location and they are bringing one up for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:18 PM

ANOTHER fabulous tute Miriam! Thanks to all a hand in producing it!
And Glenn, when do you wanna come camp in my back yard? Lol! Well actually you could even "camp" inside our guest bedrooms. . So if you have the desire to visit Des Moines, IA it could be a great POI on vacation. Lol! I always do better with direct demonstration.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM

I am nervous about the replacement product. The guy at the hardware store made faces and said he isn't hearing great reviews about it. I hit all the local hardware stores, paint stores and then started going anywhere I thought had even the remotest possibility..those old funky places with cobwebs in the corners.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

can you get lighter fluid?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I'm waiting for Glenn to come back. I have some questions. So far I have been working on some real derelict looking machines. Today I tackled on that was only halfway derelict. It actually had enough shellac on it to do some good. I have done quite a few layers of shellac but I see some swirls. I went over them with the linseed oil and the whole thing looks good. Then I get the shellac on there and swirls it again. I'm thinking I'm trying to work too big an area or maybe too much shellac at one time. But I don't know.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Miriam, Did you get an answer to your problem? I an totally relate to be scared of the black Singers! I think I've been avoiding them since the other machines are easier to tell what's going on with the coats.

I have a few questions. I am practicing this in my mind, getting mentally prepared and gathering supplies. I feel the black Singers beginning to gather close.

If I have already used sm oil to clean the outside or kerosene on the inside that may have dripped do I need to do anything special before beginning to wipe with the Naptha? Is the Naptha a one quick wipe only thing?

The part where you said the “damaged parts may turn white” after the Naptha..do they disappear when you do the rest of the process?

When you add the Shellac you say to go over the machine 3 or 4 times....in succession? It won’t make sticky mess?

How long does the shellac take to cure before you can do more coats or even begin to use the machine?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Wow you have a lot of questions! Here is what I know and Glenn is the true authority.
Miriam, Did you get an answer to your problem? I still have some things to figure out. Don't expect perfection right away.

If I have already used sm oil to clean the outside or kerosene on the inside that may have dripped do I need to do anything special before beginning to wipe with the Naptha? Is the Naptha a one quick wipe only thing? Naptha will take off the oils wipe it down but don't scrub anything - go easy.

The part where you said the “damaged parts may turn white” after the Naptha..do they disappear when you do the rest of the process? Yes

When you add the Shellac you say to go over the machine 3 or 4 times....in succession? You can... It won’t make sticky mess? Shellac dries pretty fast and since you are only putting a little on it dries fast.

How long does the shellac take to cure before you can do more coats or even begin to use the machine? Not very long. You will see a wet look - it is from the linseed oil.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks Miriam. I am practicing it in my mind first before I am ready for the real thing lol!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Thanks Miriam. I am practicing it in my mind first before I am ready for the real thing lol!
I would find an old beat up, el cheapo machine to do your first facelift on. This way you get practice and if you make a boo boo you won't feel so bad.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I would find an old beat up, el cheapo machine to do your first facelift on. This way you get practice and if you make a boo boo you won't feel so bad.
I don't have to look far to find one. I have a couple sad sacks that would do well as practice models.