Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 07-02-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by RebeccaG View Post
But it just feels so good to be able to fix this.
I know exactly the feeling you describe. I always feel very proud when I take a machine that isn't sewing and get it all fixed up and cleaned up and working again. Even if it's just a simple cleaning, it feels very good when you finally get good stitches.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:39 AM

I found the light bulb I needed for the Viscount. It is actually a night light bulb. No wonder I couldn't find it in the sewing department. Anyway, I have finished fixing up the Viscount just in time. Tomorrow is my daughters birthday and I am so happy to be able to give this machine to her. It's still in the family. Even more, she promised she would use it weekly. It's nice having someone to share a craft with. Nice that I am able to give her something so special.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 PM

Feeling rather foolish. I took apart the needle assembly on the 15-91 Singer, and just can't get it back together. I am going to go to sleep, tired of fiddling with it. Any one else take this apart and successfully put it back together...pls help.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

Feeling rather foolish. I took apart the needle assembly on the 15-91 Singer, and just can't get it back together. I am going to go to sleep, tired of fiddling with it. Any one else take this apart and successfully put it back together...pls help.

Link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...162425-12.html
I think the needle clamp is the same for this. You need window #115 and below.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:44 AM

Thank you Miriam. It's not exactly the same, but similar enough that I get the picture. I think the key is putting the thread guide with the other dohicky on as a unit. When I did that, it went on. Boy that was ooober frustrating. It also made me feel better, that I wasn't the only one in the world to have been so frustrated. Not that I want it to happen to you, because I wouldn't wish that frustration on anyone! I felt crazy... I have dismantled and put back together all kinds of stuff with these sewing machines and then I got stumped over the needle assembly! Glad that's over. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:20 PM

I've been messing with a Japanese made White zigzag machine. Model 618. It has 5 or 6 different stitch patterns on a built in camstack. The problem is all the patterns just give me a basic zigzag pattern. Something isn't quite clicking for me on it. I don't think the cam follower is transferring the motion of the cams to the parts that move the needlebar correctly. I'm not sure why not though.
Rodney
Old 07-04-2015, 01:06 PM

It is horrifyingly HOT here lately. I have several boxes and tables that have lifting veneer or are coming apart at the seams so that's what I've been working on. It's not terribly rewarding for me--not like working on a machine and getting it up and running but once the machine is fixed it generally wants a box or a table.

I run out and shoot a little glue in the cracks, throw some clamps on it and run back inside to the air conditioning. Repeat several times a day.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:19 PM

I thought it was hot here. Not sure I want anything to do with California type hot.
Rodney
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 PM

I have been working on my singer 15-91. Trying to touch up the paint. Though it doesn't look absolutely horrible, it doesn't look original. I thought about purchasing some decals off ebay. Has anyone else tried this. Would it be totally awful of me to put fancy pretty ones on this machine, being it's kind of plain jane. I would even love it more if I could find a decorative nose plate that would fit. They are awesome machines... but not the prettiest.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I have been working on my singer 15-91. Trying to touch up the paint. Though it doesn't look absolutely horrible, it doesn't look original. I thought about purchasing some decals off ebay. Has anyone else tried this. Would it be totally awful of me to put fancy pretty ones on this machine, being it's kind of plain jane. I would even love it more if I could find a decorative nose plate that would fit. They are awesome machines... but not the prettiest.
If it is your machine do what you want. If you are going to re-sell it you would want to stick with original looking decals. I have one machine I just plain scraped off the shellac and the old decals - it was horrible looking. Then I put on new shellac and the machine is queen of the herd now. Ugly but I love that old lady. I put a souped up motor on her and she flys through fabric as fast as I can manage.

FREE Quilting Newsletter