Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 08-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
....CD is the expert.....
I always run backwards when confronted with the term “expert” and it’s associated with my name. I always remember the definition of an expert that was related to me by an old power line worker when I was starting out back in the 1970s. He said, “An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a little drop of fluid under pressure”. Therefore, I try to avoid being an expert.

To clarify, I was sewing an embroidered patch onto denim fabric. Both, of which, are wovens, which allowed me to remove the first undesirable stitches without consequence. On leather, however, elnan is correct in the information about sewing leather. Once a hole is made, it’s there forever. I always try to be extra cautious when I sew an embroidered patch onto leather, especially leather coats instead of a leather vest. A mistake on an expensive leather coat can be a disaster.

I’m not clear on whether you’re needing to repair a seam or repair damage to the rest of the sleeve. In either case, I would have to take the easy way out and advise you to “bring it in so I can look at it” before rendering any opinion.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I always run backwards when confronted with the term “expert” and it’s associated with my name. I always remember the definition of an expert that was related to me by an old power line worker when I was starting out back in the 1970s. He said, “An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a little drop of fluid under pressure”. Therefore, I try to avoid being an expert.

To clarify, I was sewing an embroidered patch onto denim fabric.
CD in Oklahoma
For weeks past, and eons in the future, I am blaming any misspeak, screw-up, etc on this sinus/cold condition and my age, which seems to have increased greatly when I wasn't looking. I had read that post, studied the photos, and knew it was a denim jacket, yet my internal retrieval system shorted out. I will still think of CD as "experienced".
Old 09-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

expert breaks down to:

ex - not good you know what that is...

Definition of PERT

a : saucily free and forward : flippantly cocky and assured
b : being trim and chic : jaunty <a pert little hat>
c : piquantly stimulating <is a pert notion>

CD is that you the EXPERT???
Old 09-01-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Ok I've been messing around with a Singer 201
My hubby picked it up at a yard sale... He neglected to look in the bobbin area:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529465[/ATTACH]
but it cleaned up ok:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529466[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sams-june-24-001.jpg   sams-june-24-008.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Anyway I've been getting that old gal going. She sews very nice now. She had a bit of gummy oil in the bobbin tension pin.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:50 AM

I’ve always associated the word “pert” with another definition that I found online at the free dictionary:

b. Small or firm and well-formed: a pert nose.

So, no, pert doesn’t describe me at all.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-02-2015, 01:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Anyway I've been getting that old gal going. She sews very nice now. She had a bit of gummy oil in the bobbin tension pin.
OH OH. It was the regular tension pin not the bobbin tension pin what ever that might be... that was all gummed up. The tension did not move when the foot lever was lifted. I pulled off the tension and cleaned - neglected to do that pin. The tension moved a little but not enough. I took it apart again and cleaned the pin and it's chamber, put it back together and it works just fine. dreaded little pins.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 PM

I'm working on my Singer 306W. Today I opened the motor to find the brushes are 1/4 inch long, the lead to the brush on one side had several wires that had been broken, the insulation on one of the motor leads had a bare wire and the inside of the motor was filthy. After getting the motor in good shape I fought the lamp. Murphy's Law says IF you can get the rings off these lamps and get them re-wired when you attempt to reassemble them at least one of the rings will shoot out of your hands into the netherworld.

It took a half an hour to find the ring.

Tomorrow I will finish off the other ends of the lamp and get it back on the machine. Then it's time for for stitch testing and more cleaning of the body.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I acquired a Pink top Special Elna a while ago compete with a thread jammed bobbin area. After cleaning the thread nest, etc and oiling, the machine is a real nice machine. Runs quiet, sews beautiful zzs. It has straight stitch, zig zag, hem and a serpentine looking stitch maybe for stretch. The only problem is with a spool pin. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this with out breaking it?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]531762[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]531763[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pink-elna-special-003.jpg   pink-elna-special-002.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 07:37 AM

Miriam, I’ve never messed with one of those, so I’m not going to be much help. How is the pin supposed to be attached? Press-in or thread and nut?

I haven’t been fiddling with machines much for the past month or so. I’ve been rebuilding a Singer 15-91 Centennial, working on it off and on for a friend, and doing some sewing and mending, but I spend most of my time now with my new occupation. I took up “cat herding”.....

A little over a month ago, my wife and I adopted a couple of kittens that had been bottle-fed and had begun litter box training. They knew what a litter box looked like, and that was about it. We’ve been working with them to figure out what it’s for and how to use it. My poor old dog, Rex, is getting pretty bedraggled trying to “mother” them and keep them out of trouble (it’s a lost cause, but he keeps trying). For some reason, we didn’t remember all of the details about having kittens years ago. It seems like we only remembered the cute and fun parts, and forgot about the bad and messy things, and the fact that we were younger back then. I’ve certainly had my hands full with these guys (in more ways than one), and my wife isn’t getting near as much sewing done in the evenings. The little boy demands hugs from my wife whenever she sits down to the sewing machine, and the little girl is constantly hugging my ankles whenever I try to walk around in the house.

All is not lost though. Two kittens can do a lot of dusting in those hard-to-reach areas that haven’t been dusted for a long time by a couple of old people, can point out the fact that there are simply too many knick-knacks just setting around on tables and shelves that don’t really need to be there, and that sewing supplies like spools of thread, bobbins, and quilt pieces need to be put away when the sewing is complete for the day. And yes, the affection and humor that kittens exhibit when they’re not being total heathens still seems to warm one’s heart just like in days gone by.

Ooops, sounds like I gotta go for now.......

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20150915_01.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter