Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 09-27-2015, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

This Elna IS a very quiet machine with very nice stitches. It does just enough variety of stitches to be a good choice for basic sewing.

I haven't sewn on my two MW machines yet. All I've done on them is clean up tensions. Someone messed with the spring on one of them. I should shoot a pic of just the tampered with spring. I brought a bunch of clone nose plates over here (staying with elderly parents) and I cleaned them up and Mom 'helped'. I think the tension is the must often bungled part on the clones from what I've seen. It seems like an awful lot of people don't get it right on them.

Someone gave me a ss Morse since it is missing the zz throat plate and the bobbin case and wires and all the cams. I may have a front facing bobbin case to fit it and wires.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:58 AM

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGG! The project for today was to start the shellac on my featherweight table. I had a very hard time getting the stain even and have been waiting a few days to be sure it was dry.

I go out to the garage this morning only to notice a defect. Hubby dropped something on my table top and there is a tiny ding and paint transfer. Then to try and hide it he rubbed it. So rubbed some of the stain off creating a light spot which is how I saw it so quickly. Of course he thought I wouldn't notice so avoided telling me. Grrrr.

I had to sand the area to get the paint transfer out and now will have to carefully try and patch in the stain every 2 hours working it up to a match. Then I can wait a few days again to be sure it's fully dry before I can shellac.

I am trying not to cry.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Banned

You have a nice machine, a nice hubby, and the health to work on it... I'd agree don't cry, smile at the absurdities of life...
Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Banned

I'm sure your hubby has enough redeeming qualities to eventually forgive him. Now in my case, too many instances similar to this and worse are why I choose to stay single.

Cari
Old 10-01-2015, 02:34 AM

Since you got the stain to match once, you can do it again! Just think of it as a minor setback; eventually you'll have a beautiful table.

Pat
Old 10-01-2015, 05:43 AM

Make him work off his penance with massages!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:00 AM

Thanks guys. He is forgiven. It was an accident. I had only wished he told me right up front instead of thinking I wouldn't notice. That just wasted time. I am bringing it back but it's not there yet.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 AM

My wife and I sewed some more quilt block pieces with my little hand crank Featherweight (nicknamed Hurkie) this past weekend in the booth at the Quilt Show. Just like always, Hurkie got a lot of attention from show-goers, but especially from other vendors that would like to have one in their booth to fiddle with during the slow periods of the show. Being able to quickly set the little machine off to the side when needed without fussing with cords and a control was what really attracted other vendors. Show booths are always cramped, and arriving shoppers need tended to immediately, so being able to set the machine out of the way nearly anywhere at a moment’s notice is a plus.

I debuted Hurkie’s big brother, the Singer long bed 301-2 hand crank machine (no nickname yet) at this show near the end of the second day, but he didn’t garner near as much attention. The little 221 is just too cute, I guess. He also has a larger foot print, so he needs more space. He went to a chair or to the floor to be out of the way when needed.

Sorry, no photos of the event, because the only two that I took turned out fuzzy.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine89_01.jpg   machine261_18.jpg  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:09 AM

It's been a couple days since I worked on a machine and longer since I actually sewed on anything. I won't be doing much with machines or sewing today either. I've got a couple rotten boards in our deck I need to replace. A quick update on what I have going on:
I'm still playing hide and seek with the USB cord for the camera. Why must these things all be proprietary? I do have a small tutorial for rebuilding rubber drive wheels in the works . We're also going to start doing 4-H stuff again sometime later this month. There might even be one or two new girls joining our group. I hope so, it should be fun. My pirate costume I want to make isn't even going to be started until after Halloween. I'm hoping to have something presentable made up by next year. I am starting to have a few more or less solid ideas for it though.
Rodney
Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Banned

Rodney, if your computer doesn't have a slot for an SD card, get yourself a cheap card reader that plugs into a USB port. No more searching for camera cord.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-in-One-E...item3f518b62c1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Size-US...item51cb9c011e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Flas...item1e97062d15

This is just a few of thousands of them. And yes the cheapo ones work. I paid like 3 bucks for mine 5 years ago and it still works. I keep it on top of the computer so it doesn't get lost.

Cari

FREE Quilting Newsletter