Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet 'Charlee', a 1920 Singer 66-1 (Pic heavy)

Meet 'Charlee', a 1920 Singer 66-1 (Pic heavy)

Hello all,
    I'm fairly new to the QB but have joined two swaps already-Monthy Quilt Block and Quilt for Quilters swap. I would like to comment on one thing that stands out to me -folks are very friendly and willing to help out the new-comers, either that, you all have a blast watching us 'new kids' with our learning curves <bg>.

Dh and I love to haunt the local antique malls for a hobby. Last week we spied two machines that piqued my interest and I knew just where to go for information. Having been a visitor to the Vintage Machines forum, I knew who I wanted to turn to for guidance, someone knowledgable and fun. So I shot off an e-mail to Charlee asking if she would help me regarding evaluating the machines and reliable resources that I could learn from - and she did. Fast forward.

I made the decision to go for the 66-1. It called to me. DH goes to pick her up and I wait at home for what seems an eternity. When eventually he turns the corner to come up the drive I spy not one, but TWO machines in the bed of the p-up! Nope, you'll have to wait to find out what the other one is :-)

Since last Wednesday I have been steadily working on bringing back some of her luster. I lovingly tease her cabinet falls under 'Section 8' housing, but really, it's not too bad. Don't get me wrong, it's not great and dh is going to give it a go with some glue and clamps. She wasn't horribly dirty or gunked up -Thanks Muv! Your tut on You Tube was a huge confidence booster!. We need to get a belt and bobbin ring, other than that, she's good to go. I'm giddy with excitement to hear her purr. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of working her over.

Meet the First Lady of my vintage machines, 'Charlee', in thanks to all of QB's Charlee unselfish guidance and support.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    My best is the least I can do.
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.
    2012-2013 Row by Row-Groups 6 & 7 ... 2011-2012 Quilt for Quilters Swap

Blog Entries
    WOW!! You did an AWESOME job washing her face!! I'm honored, thank you!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Charlee is transformed!!!!! I love the bit about her living in section 8 housing - I about snorted my tea and fell off the chair - love the name. I'm glad you found Muv's videos (BTW - she has a new one - I just posted it on the recipe section a little bit ago.)
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

What a beauty! (There aren't any whistling smileys). She shines so well you'd think she was new. It's addictive to transform them--just be warned.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

WOW!!! Charlee is beautiful!!! What a wonderful looking machine!!!

Fantastic! Charlee looks beautiful! I think bringing one of these old machines to life is a blast!! I have one that will be set in her newly refinished house tomorrow and I'll post a picture. You did a great job!
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    What a great story (I agree, Charlee, the board member, is a gem) and a very pretty machine. I hope you enjoy her for many years.

Wowsers! She is a beauty!

Just beautiful - Red Eyes are just stunning when they are brought back to life - great job!

Joann

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow..a red eye..so pretty....but do tell me that she is NOT going to a permanent plant stand....if you need the leather let me know, I am going to place an order with Brewer sewing by Friday!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast