Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine >

My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM

It's a beauty!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM

That machine is a beauty. She was taken care of and is in beautiful shape. I would also have the cords checked just because of the age. I have my Mom's machine--no where near like yours, but the cord cracked all alone the length. It was stored in her basement for maybe 10 years after it's last use, so those things just wear out. I used it all the time to make button-holes, didn't like the way my machine did them, and it was a good excuse to go over to visit.
Sue
Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
That machine is a beauty. She was taken care of and is in beautiful shape. I would also have the cords checked just because of the age. I have my Mom's machine--no where near like yours, but the cord cracked all alone the length. It was stored in her basement for maybe 10 years after it's last use, so those things just wear out. I used it all the time to make button-holes, didn't like the way my machine did them, and it was a good excuse to go over to visit.
Sue
Yes that definitely the case... My husband's grandmother was known for how well she kept house. And the same is true of his aunt. She is pretty amazing with how efficient and neat she is. So, even though the little old sewing machine saw a good deal of use, they both really took good care of her.
Sue, your "button hole" visit excuse is very sweet. Makes me miss my own Mom quite a bit.

And Crafty Pat, Vanuatu Jill, and Judy: my daughter truly does know how lucky she is. It is wonderful that she could have this sewing machine.

We decided to do the re-conditioning or anything it needs here in our area, because it is too heavy for my daughter to cart all over the NYC area using public transportation. Can you picture her lugging it along on the subway? :XD:
Janice, Sue and Lisa - We definitely are going to get the electrical aspects taken care of. Don't want to take any risks, since this machine will actually be used once again.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM

what a wonderful piece of history. such a beautiful machine and being kept in the family.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM

I have found that a good LQS will know who in the area works on sewing machines. We have an excellent fellow in NW Wisconsin. He replaced my cracked, dangerous electrical cord on my old Singer, when I first got it to him for a general tune-up, since it had been unused for a couple of decades. I would find a great guy like that, and let him bring this beauty up to snuff.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM

She is a beauty.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Wow! That is the coolest sewing machine I've ever seen!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 AM

LOVE the machine! Also enjoyed reading the ad - I agree with the ad, when I acquire a "labor saving device" such as a vintage sewing machine, I do "feel more content". But then I just want another! LOL Congrats on the save, I love to see vintage machines go to someone who appreciates their history!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 AM

Love that machine!!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 AM

Oh My Goodness! Is she a beauty!