Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Dilemma - which should I buy? >

My Dilemma - which should I buy?

My Dilemma - which should I buy?

Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Default My Dilemma - which should I buy?

I was looking at a Pfaff 1222 earlier this week; I actually called the seller, and she had changed her mind about keeping it (and wanted $300-400), so I let it go. Today she relisted it, and is now only asking $100: http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...AdIdZ528226582

I was going to go take a look at it (I hear the cam stacks can crack, so I would check them as well as making sure it sews). I like the idea of the walking foot built in; I have a Janome right now, and I find the add-on walking foot quite noisy when I'm quilting. I've also been doing some garment sewing, so the walking foot would be nice for slippery fabrics.

I decided to go take a look at it, turned on the computer to look up the phone number, and noticed that I had received an email about a Singer 201 that I had inquired about almost a month ago: http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...AdIdZ498093664 It's still for sale, and the seller says she has never used it, but it has all sorts of accessories in the bench.

So, I'm sure you can understand my quandary. The Singer is beautiful, classic, in a much nicer cabinet, and could eventually be put on a treadle base (I want a treadle machine, but in 2 years when I'm done school, not now when I would have to haul it into and out of my basement apartment). The Singer would probably do an excellent straight stitch, which I'm looking for. However, the straight stitch is all it does.

On the other hand, the Pfaff has the built-in walking foot, and is probably more generally capable. I've read some good reviews of them, and it looks like it would be resellable (even though that cabinet is hideous).

Since I can't seem to make up my mind (and my mom is apparently off watching a curling bonspeil, so I can't ask her): what would you all suggest??

Thanks in advance for your advice!

PS: Just as eye candy: I guess I could also consider this White treadle machine: http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...AdIdZ528033572 I assume they'll be open on the price, since it's missing the actual foot treadle part.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:37 PM

Between those two, I personally would go for the Pfaff. $200 is too much for a 201, even with the cabinet and stool, in my opinion, but then again, I am cheap.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:44 PM

I agree - I'm cheap too, so I wouldn't pay over $100 for the 201. I might even be able to talk her down lower, since it's been listed for over a month. What do you think a good price for the 201 would be?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM

A Pfaff for $100 is hard to beat if it lives up to your expectations in the test drive. Maybe the seller was pretty fond of it to change her mind --that's a good thing. You don't have to buy the cabinet; you might even get her to shave off $20 if you don't "need" it and it would be an ugly bear to haul in and out of your basement apartment when you move.

The Singer is beautiful, as is the cabinet, but it's too pricey, IMO. (Granted, things in BC are a lot more than things down here near DC, but they aren't hard to come by, are they, up there?) If it were me, I'd take the more practical one now (Pfaff) and save the pretty one as a reward for finishing school!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Grab that Pfaff as fast as you can - you can pick up a reasonalby priced 201 later.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Jennifer, I don't know much about Pfaffs, that is, not enough to advise you; so if it is in great shape and others say that you can do well with that one at that price, that is probably good advice. I liked the advice about not taking the cabinet - you are still transient, and a cabinet is a pain in the neck. And heck, if she will knock a bit off the price if you take the machine only, then that is great! If it was her machine for years and she can see that you will love it and use it well, then she will give you a fair deal; it is always nice to see a beloved item go to a worthy person. That will make her happy!

I realize that prices are different by region, but no matter how you slice it, $200 for that Singer is way too much. There are other Singers listed in your area for $75, cabinets and all. As great as those machines are, they are a dime a dozen, and you will simply never recoup that sort of cost.

The Pfaff, assuming that it is working well and that you are handy enough to do maintenance yourself, sounds as though it will be a better bet in the long run. Straight-stitchers will come along cheep-cheep or free, this I promise.

:-)

Best of luck! Do keep us posted.

(Also I looked on kijiji Prince George - there is a Kenmore $50, "bobbin thing jammed" which may be worth a look too? Apparently those older Kenmore can be quite fabulous. http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...AdIdZ519647080
Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM

I own a Pfaff 1222 and it's a fabulous machine. Go and get it.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM

I have a treadle, I have fixed it up works great, but I never use it...in fact have two...really debating on getting rid of them. Love the look of them but for me, I like the modern sewing machine.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:24 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your advice! You're all right - I'd forgotten that there will be other Singers. Now that you mentioned it, it seems obvious. I wouldn't have paid $200 for that one - maybe $100, but I would be more comfortable with $60, but I will certainly be able to find another in the future.

I'm going to look at the Pfaff tomorrow morning. The lady selling it had a friend look at it, and it worked, but then the needle quit going up and down, so her friend said it might need service (yes, the needle not moving might be a sign of a problem...). I'm going to check for cracked cams/gears, as well as lintballs/misthreading, and if it looks good I will take it. I don't want to try replacing a cam stack, so if there are any cracked plastic bits I'm going to pass.

I'll let you know how things go tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice!

Cecilia, I will consider the Kenmore. I do have a machine already, so I don't really *need* another, but that one does look like it might be worthwhile.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

Money aside, the if the Pfaff gives you pleasure, buy it. Then get an old Singer or an old Kenmore for all of your straight sewing. You should be able to buy a good Singer or an old Kenmore for about the cost of servicing the Pfaff. Then you won't have to have the Pfaff serviced as often. An old simple Singer or Kenmore will pay for itself.