My sister's save - White VS 1

Old 07-18-2014, 04:13 PM

quilt938,
You have a bad case of "SMAD" (sewing machine acquisition disorder). Lol
There is no cure, because none of us want to be "healed".

Sharon in Texas
runs a home for geriatric sewing machines
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 AM

Default Update - First stitches White VS 2

My sister Emailed me pictures of her White VS 2 first stitches. Her comment was that this sewing machine
makes nicer stitches than her Husqvarna/Viking, LOL. She used one of the bobbins with some old thread on it, stated that she now needs to learn how to wind a spindle bobbin. I sent her the link to Muv's blog as it is rather hard to teach someone over the phone. I also suggested that she join us here on the QB. If all else fails, I may have to make the hour and half drive to visit and give her some vintage machine lessons. So far she is doing good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484355[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484356[/ATTACH]
Back
Attached Thumbnails elodies-white-sm-first-stitches.jpg   elodies-white-sm-first-stitches-bottom.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Banned

Now that is a beautiful sight on a Monday morning, thanks for the positive start...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Indeed, that is a beautiful start. I'm thinking you may need to take a drive anyway. You are such a patient teacher, at least for me. For the two of you to have a positive experience, could be... positive! I'm waiting to get my White into the house now that it's done. Finally 100% stitch ready, and hopefully better than the Husq/Vikings I have too.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 AM

the dump!?!?? I didn't think there were any dumps left. Your sister made a great catch! Kudos!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 AM

Wow! What a find!
The dump up at the family place in upper Wisconsin doesn't allow anything to come out of it either...although my adult son pleaded ignorance. He is working on the house up there and when he went to the dump he found lots of wood for the remodel that had just been dropped off...he was loading it when the guy told him you can't do that.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM

Our local Land Fill (they don't call it a dump anymore) won't let you take anything, and they have an employee sitting there in a large loader to flatten and spread out stuff as it's dumped off. So that helps to curb any temptations to see what is under any "interesting" piles. Most items like older sewing machines and treadles end up going to the metal scarp yard. I talked with one of the local "repurpose" shops, and she said she is always looking for old treadles to use the cabinets, but never considered there would be anyone interested in the machines to actually use. She said she gave them to some guy that made tractors out of them . . .
Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM

This is a reply to Quilt938! I don't mean to sound so aggressive, but it forever hacks me off when people try to tell me what I want or don't want, or what I "need" or "don't need". I had inlaws who were forever more trying to tell me what to do, how to raise and/or discipline my son, etc. I'm past the point where I want anyone to try to tell me what to do. I'm 69, and I think I've earned the right to make my own decisions! Sorry!

Jeanette
Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Default I have a Low Serial Number White VS-2 ... just happened upon 08-02-14

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I think it is a VS-1. One machine I don't have, LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483730[/ATTACH]
Serial number, 1,296,223
I just bought a machine just like this except the Serial Number is printed into the metal plate behind the presser foot, it has a very low Serial Number (972930), and it has a full-circular cast "frame" (vs. semi-circular, bottom-only) that holds the bobbin re-threader.

The decals are not in great shape, the treadle and head are otherwise good shape, the wood is reasonably good condition, but is probably the weakest piece of the puzzle. Speaking of puzzles, it came with one shuttle and one bobbin and rectangular, unlabled tin box with some accessories, but I'm not sure if any of that stuff belongs with the machine. I thinnk the bobbin is, as it fits the spindles on the bobbin threader, but the shuttle looks like a Singer VS-2 shuttle, and doesn't seem to fit well at all.

But then, I don't know much of anything about any of this, either...I get all kinds of conflicting info online, and I have no experience with treadles until 2 days ago (2-days of internet research).

Are any VS-1 and VS-2 Shuttles interchangeable between any White and Singer VS-1 and VS-2 models? (If you are kind enough to answer, please be specific, explicit and clear about this).

Also, same question for White and Singer VS-1 and VS-2 bobbins (and accessories)...

If someone really wants an early White VS-2, I may be willing to sell or trade this one...

-Dave
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Banned

White VS1 bobbins are NOT interchangeable with Singer VS machines for sure. I do not have a White VS2 to compare with but I believe they are similar to the White VS1 and so would not be compatible either.