My sister's save - White VS 1

Old 07-17-2014, 03:06 PM

Congrats to you sister, an awesome find.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM

"Common as dirt". Well, maybe in days gone by. But from what I'm seeing they really aren't that common any more.

Not to mention those of us on QB that are .... um ..... hoarding .... er I mean protecting them are diminishing the supply.

Joe
Old 07-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Joe- if you really want one, I'll bring you one next time I'm making a run for GA/FL. You may have to meet me in St. Louis since my DH doesn't want to drive into IL.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM

That's a gorgeous find! What a score!! A tad bit better than dumpster diving. :-) Caroline, have you seen the VS White I am holding for my niece? Sweet little machine. Even where the thread guide is a paperclip and nut/bolt set-up.
It's been cared for in loving homes for the last 40 years.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 PM

I hope I don't start hoarding...my mom passed in 2011 and had been picking up 'bargains' at estate sales - so far I've found a centennial featherweight and just uncovered a centennial 66 that has the rough finish and a black tension know(nothing else black like that though) so it's like Christmas right now LOL! and I already had a couple of 301's and I've seen at least 3 from my mom's stash. a friend was helping me pack them up to bring back home and said she wantd to buy one since I didn't need them all - but I'm feeling kinda defensive and don't want to part with any :-( I feel I have to protect them! plus they're all different - one is the first black one I bought and the first old machine I bought but its finish is a little dulled but it's my first..the 2nd is the ugly tan color or whatever it's called and my dad helped fix it so it's 'special'...my mom has a black one with a tan short bed in a cabinet so I think it was probably originally a long bed which I want but dont have the long bed for it...saw another black one in a case (case stinks) and there's a 2 tone one I'm pretty sure in another case somewhere...keep hoping one will be so icky with the paint but sew good so I can have it painted a cool metallic color (can't bear to paint anything that's still really good...sigh...)
I know my friend means well but I dont' think 3 featherweigths and all those 301s are too excessive...I'd have more treadles if I had the room!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Wow! What a lovely find! She was very lucky. Our dump doesn't allow things to be removed either. A group recently created a salvage shop where goodies from the dump are being sold and they are open once a month. So far, I have found the sewing machines to be priced too high. I think once they start piling up and see that no one really wants them the prices should drop.

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
a friend was helping me pack them up to bring back home and said she wantd to buy one since I didn't need them all - but I'm feeling kinda defensive and don't want to part with any :-( ...
I know my friend means well but I dont' think 3 featherweigths and all those 301s are too excessive...I'd have more treadles if I had the room!
I think your friend overstepped there. It's not really her business whether you "need them all" or not. If she was interested she should have said, IF you decide you don't want to keep them all, please let me know, I would be happy to have one. Given the benefit of the doubt, perhaps that is what she meant and just didn't put the words together well.

Of course you do not have to let any of them go. They are all special to you.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Christy I think that's what she meant and she did say at first 'if you decide to sell any' but it was with the assumption that there was no way I was keeping them all. I think all the stress and stuff is getting to me - my townhome has been in sad cluttered shape and she and a few other friends have been helping me so in her mind I need to get rid of stuff and in my mind I'm getting rid of what Iw ant to get rid of and the sewing machines aren't in my way LOL! I kinda started feeling pushed though - she's reminded me at least a dozen times not to sell anything until friends go through it first and I'm like 'yeh yeh yeh' and another wants a fw bobbin case if I have an extra then said this other friend told her she thought she saw one..um I have 3 fws and several 301s I might need an extra case if there's one - you never know! she did buy a lot of attachments at various estate sales/garage sales but I'm really in no hurry to get rid of them though I WOULD like to know what they go to, etc.

it's kinda sounding like I AM a hoarder hee hee...and sewing machines can fit nicely in at least 3 closets I have and don't use for clothing...
Old 07-18-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Joe- if you really want one, I'll bring you one next time I'm making a run for GA/FL. You may have to meet me in St. Louis since my DH doesn't want to drive into IL.
Cathy,

I can't blame your DH for not wanting to drive into IL. I live here and don't want to drive into the place.

Would that be a rotary or shuttle machine? I'm kinda looking for a rotary because I already have lots of bobbins and other White rotary type things.

Email me more details when you can.

Joe
Old 07-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Thank goodness the dump guy knew that wasn't garbage! your sister must be thrilled!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
..um I have 3 fws and several 301s I might need an extra case if there's one - you never know! she did buy a lot of attachments at various estate sales/garage sales but I'm really in no hurry to get rid of them though I WOULD like to know what they go to, etc.
I completely understand. When I was just getting into this hobby I stumbled into a bulk buy. I am still finding things I did not know I had and am still figuring out what things are and what they go to. I wouldn't want to sell something off only to find out it is difficult to find and I have the machine it goes to! Take your time sorting through things and making up your own mind. Let your friends know you will keep them in mind when the time comes and the time hasn't come yet. There's no hurry.