Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Needles and bobbinsss for Singer 319W >

Needles and bobbinsss for Singer 319W

Needles and bobbinsss for Singer 319W

Old 10-31-2014, 03:34 AM

Default Needles and bobbinsss for Singer 319W

I just got my Grandmother's green Singer 319W from my Mom last weekend. Machine has not been used since late 50's. My Grandfather bought this for her...(we think in either 53, 54 or 55 - as he died in May 1958..............

After thorough cleaning and oiling, SHE RUNS!! She was locked up for years..............

I need to get needles and bobbins...and a probably a foot or two.................
Attached Thumbnails photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  
Old 10-31-2014, 03:37 AM

Any ideas for sources for these pieces?Any help is appreciated ...
Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 AM

Your machine takes a different needle than most. They're still being made in 2 sizes. Sew-Classic.com carries them.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/206x13-S...eedles_c46.htm
Looks like your machine takes' "L" type bobbins. Sew-Classic has those too.

I know others have modified their machines to take 15x1 needles that you can buy anywhere. If you search here you should be able to find information on that as well.

Neat machine. It's on my want list, either that or a 320, the free arm version of your machine. I love the typewriter keys for changing stitch patterns.
I "think" it takes Singer flat cams for even more stitch patterns too. I'm hoping someone who owns one of these machines will chime in with correct information.
Rodney
Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I know others have modified their machines to take 15x1 needles that you can buy anywhere. If you search here you should be able to find information on that as well.

I "think" it takes Singer flat cams for even more stitch patterns too. I'm hoping someone who owns one of these machines will chime in with correct information.
Rodney
Yes Rodney, 206x13, I had mine modified the bobbins to take 15x1(see my sig) and yes it takes flat cams. It's an ordinary low shank and takes common low shank feet and attachments.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 AM

Just a note, if you mention modification of this machine on many of the vintage forums on the net you will get yourself booted off. It's not a popular or accepted thing to do... just an FYI.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Just a note, if you mention modification of this machine on many of the vintage forums on the net you will get yourself booted off. It's not a popular or accepted thing to do... just an FYI.

boy that would make me pretty mad... their machine, their choice....
Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Your machine takes a different needle than most. They're still being made in 2 sizes. Sew-Classic.com carries them.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/206x13-S...eedles_c46.htm
Looks like your machine takes' "L" type bobbins. Sew-Classic has those too.

Neat machine. It's on my want list, either that or a 320, the free arm version of your machine. I love the typewriter keys for changing stitch patterns.
Rodney
THANKS RODNEY! I will get an order in today...

I have only 1 foot and found the manual on Singer's site as free download...but used a ton of ink printing out the pages.....and - in a box in the side door of the cabinet, there was a complete set of the "fashion disks" (cams).....cannot wait to play with this one.......................

Still working with WD 40 and soft clothes and old toothbrushes trying to get all of the old hardened grease and nicotine off the metal case..............lot of work...........

THANKS ALL for your help!

Brenda
Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 AM

Maybe it's not popular with purists. I know the retiming trick people try to do doesn't work well but I think Mike's modified bobbin case is different.
To me it always depends on the modifications and why they were done.
If a person is planning to actually sew with one of these machines it makes sense. This mod allows the user to use all types of needles instead of only the two available new without having to hunt down NOS needles on Ebay.
I'm guessing the mod is an enlarged slot in the bobbin case to clear the 15x1 needles. I don't think that it would prevent the user from using the stock 206x13 needles if they chose to and wouldn't affect the cosmetics of the machine. Seems like something Singer should have done from the beginning since the 15x1 needle was pretty well established by the time these machines were made.
Rodney
Old 10-31-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
boy that would make me pretty mad... their machine, their choice....
Forum owners and yahoo group owners run them with their own rules.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:23 AM

The thing to do, and what I'm going to do is to get a spare bobbin case and modify that. Keep the original untouched.
That way you can go which ever way you want without altering the machine itself.

My wife has quilt using her 319 because of the lack of larger size needles. She has some but they don't last forever and once gone ..... then what. So modifying a spare bobbin case for the 15x1 needles simply makes sense.

As for what the purists do on other forums, well they can go pound sand. We don't need them to tell us what we can or cannot do with OUR machines.

Joe