Opinions, please!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Default Opinions, please!

I got my grandmother's (as best as I can tell, 1900 Singer model 28) treadle machine. Her name is Elizabeth and her serial # is N1516432. Her decals are pretty much shot-she's a sphinx- and her paint is pitted on the bed. Should I try to get new decals, sand her off and put a coat of black paint on her, or should I paint her a pretty color and paint her with beautiful roses???? I'm planning on using her and I'm not interested in her value. What do y'all think?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I am not an expert but if I was going to use her, I would just give her a good polish or wax and use her as is. That way she's still in original condition but the wax would protect her and your fabric. Hopefully one of experts will chime in with some advice.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM

It's your machine. If you want to repaint it, please take a picture of her current look to commemorate the hours of sewing done on it. Loved machines quite often are 'used' looking. Pristine machines may not have had the luxury of being well loved. Personally, I can see black with pretty roses, but a bright color and roses might be a little much for a full sized dignified machine, IMO. Again, it's your machine. Do what makes you smile after you photograph her.

Now I'm ducking - this may not be the popular opinion.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM

I agree with Irishrose. It is your sewing machine to do with as you want. A pretty color with pretty roses decals would be awesome in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM

If it were my grandmothers I would just take some sewing machine oil on a soft cloth and go over it to preserve what grandma left after sewing so much on it. But then I'm really sentimental. Your a lucky girl. Hope you have many happy hours sewing on it no matter what you decide to do. Enjoy!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 PM

i am sentimental, too. i wouldn't repaint elizabeth but just show the natural beauty she has acquired over her lifetime of loving use.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM

OK ! That question is settled! Elizabeth will be thoroughly cleaned and left in her original condition. I have been sewing on her and I've decided that women who used machines like that daily must have some kind of leg muscles. On another note, a couple at church is moving and he asked me if I would like to give his grandmother's treadle machine a good home. Can you believe it? They really don't want to take it with them. I don't know anything about it, except that it is a Singer with a round bobbin, and they said it was in use until about 5 years ago. I can't wait to go pick it up. That might be my sign to leave Elizabeth alone and put roses on one that I'm not emotionally attached to!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 AM

MimiBug123,

I got here late but I'm glad you decided to leave Elizabeth as she is. The wear and use marks left by their previous owners are history. Yes they might not look good, but the machine was to it's original owner and their heirs a tool. Not a display item. And the chips, needle rash, and worn decals just show that the machine has made many many items.
I feel this way about my moms HOTHER and most of the other machines I have.

About the only one I would repaint is my New Home Model AB. Mini was well used, then put away when she jammed up because some nit wit put bunches of needles inside her. After that mice used her for a nest and their urine really made a mess of her paint. If I could find new decals, that machine would get painted.

Joe
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM

I bet you new one is a 66. You'll like sewing one that from what I hear. Mine isn't back together yet.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM

If you are going to use the machine, I vote with the camp to clean her up, wax her, and NOT repaint. At the moment, vintage machines have no value unless they are useful; however, in the future, antique value might come into play, and that would mean that original paint, no matter how worn, would be preferable.
Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.