Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Presser Foot Screw for Singer 413 needs replacing >

Presser Foot Screw for Singer 413 needs replacing

Presser Foot Screw for Singer 413 needs replacing

Old 06-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Default Presser Foot Screw for Singer 413 needs replacing

Hello all:
The presser foot screw on my 413 constantly loosens while sewing and I need a replacement. A Singer person told me it was the same as on a Featherweight but not so. The Featherweight screw is smaller. Any suggestions? Sally
Old 06-14-2015, 04:13 PM

I wonder if a Fashion Mate screw would be the same as the 413. Several times, I've noticed that the presser foot is loose on my 301, so now I check it frequently. Husband says use loctite. When I asked if that would make it permanent, he said the red loctite would be permanent, but the blue would not. A friend was practicing using a walking foot on an older Kenmore and it kept getting loose until the walking foot broke.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:32 PM

Try some coats of fingernail polish on the screw part.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:11 PM

That one has to come in and out every time you change feet. I think it would quickly become a pain to have to keep painting it. I won't recommend over tightening it either. You don't want to damage the threads in the presser foot bar.

Does anyone know if it's the same as other full size Singers of the same time frame like a 401A?
If so, I can check and see if I have a workable replacement. I have a couple machines that are just parts machines at this point. If I have one I''ll send it to you.
Rodney
Old 06-15-2015, 02:30 PM

That reminds me to try wrapping teflon tape around a different small screw. It worked great on the plumbing screw I bought it for and for some medium sized screws I got annoyed with.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
That one has to come in and out every time you change feet. I think it would quickly become a pain to have to keep painting it. I won't recommend over tightening it either. You don't want to damage the threads in the presser foot bar.

Does anyone know if it's the same as other full size Singers of the same time frame like a 401A?
If so, I can check and see if I have a workable replacement. I have a couple machines that are just parts machines at this point. If I have one I''ll send it to you.
Rodney
I looked at one on ebay. The 413 is a Stylist, if that makes any difference. In googling Singer 413 sewing machine, Joe Miller's 2013 posts regarding that model came up, and would indicate that he is the 413 expert. I have a 412G, nothing like the 413.