Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

BoJangles 06-11-2013 05:37 AM

Thank you everyone. The quilt was draped on his coffin in the church too, but I didn't get photo's of that. It was an honor that DH asked to have the quilt displayed like that. I didn't know they were doing that until the funeral. Dad would have liked that. The blue fabric is vintage airplanes. He was an auto mechanic during WW 2 and for 34 years after.

I am putting the quilt away. We won't use it.

Anyway, thank you all.

Nancy

ollie1shoe 06-16-2013 04:55 PM

would love to see a few of them

ollie1shoe 06-16-2013 04:59 PM

beautiful table christmas topper but wow have you ever thought to use quilting safety pins instead of the straight pins i would be a bloody mess if i used straight pins

Glenn 06-19-2013 08:05 AM

Civil War Pot Holder Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I was inspired by a civil war pot holder quilt made by Jean Ann Wright using fabrics by Judie Rothermel and the New England Quilt Museum. The pot holder quilt was made by ladies who made comleted 12" blocks quilted and bound. They then got together and whipped stitched the separate blocks to form a quilt. These quilts were given to the wounded soldiers in the hospitals. Not many of these quilts survived because most wounded soldiers died in the hospital and were buried with the quilts.

I made this quilt using my own fabrics from my stash and each block I made with a different antique vintage machine(ie singer vs2 ca 1898) 30 diff machines were use to piece and quilt the blocks. Some blocks are handquilted and some machine quilted. I am going to add labels to what machine made each block on the back of each block. It is now a lap quilt but my wife liked it so much she wants me to add two more rows so she can use it on the bed. I just did my own take on the thing.

miriam 06-19-2013 08:59 AM

wow, Glenn, I can't wait to see that.

JudyTheSewer 06-19-2013 09:52 AM

Glenn, Civil War fabrics are my favorites. I had never heard of potholder quilts. Thanks for the lesson and sharing your beautiful quilt.

earthwalker 06-19-2013 11:27 PM

I'm with your wife Glenn....most bedworthy! It's a beauty and I am guessing these "potholder quilts" are just the original concept for today's "quilt as you go". Great idea with the individual labels....definitely a keeper.

BoJangles 06-20-2013 04:53 AM

Skip, Wow what a beautiful quilt - and what a cool idea! I had never heard of a potholder quilt either, but how inspiring for us that you used a different machine for each of the blocks! I would add rows too and use it on your bed! You are also inspiring me to get the label made for my FIL's quilt - I have been procrastinating about doing the label, but it needs to be done. One of my BIL's wanted Dad's quilt to be buried with him, but Rod said no. I am glad, seeing his quilt reminds me of him! It is nice those soldiers had their quilts buried with them, but at the same time it is a shame one of the family members didn't receive the special quilt as a keepsake.

Nancy

Crossstitcher 06-20-2013 05:03 PM

Gee Glenn I love your quilt and the idea you used. I bet this will have a lot of us making a pot holder quilt now.

Windblown 06-20-2013 06:12 PM

What a great idea for a quilt, You did a great job on this what memories of your machines too.