Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

yobrosew 11-27-2014 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse (Post 6952935)
I am glad to know it wasn't for You..

I wouldn't have cared if for you as long as the color goes well with your skin tone.

yobrosew 11-27-2014 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 3641550)
I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.

I know this comment is several years old but if read, do you have name of doll pattern and dress pattern you used?

purplefiend 11-27-2014 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond (Post 6984968)
So we are both vintage - I guess that is better than ancient LOL!

Vintage yes, ancient no! I sew with ancient machines, though! I was using the 1917 White Rotary all weekend and yesterday; I finished a quilt top yesterday. Its a tumbler pattern, 10" size.
I think the White Rotary is my favorite of my treadles.
I'll upload some photos once I buy a cable for my new camera.
Sharon in Texas

Rodney 11-29-2014 09:34 AM

Very nice Monopas! Looks like we're rubbing off on you.
Rodney

monopas 11-29-2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6988174)
Very nice Monopas! Looks like we're rubbing off on you.
Rodney

It was making the 9 patch blocks, and your work on Ashlea's quilt that got me started and took the fear out of it. If you could make a quilt, I knew that I could make a tiny quilt (mug rug). So thank you for that.

I didn't manage a table topper for Thanksgiving, as I had a pie disaster on top of the OCD flare of trying to match up something in my small number of holiday fabrics. Oh well. I'll give it to my cousin for Christmas.

miriam 11-29-2014 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by monopas (Post 6988227)
It was making the 9 patch blocks, and your work on Ashlea's quilt that got me started and took the fear out of it.

Yippie!!!!! keep it up!!!! Ashlea would be right there telling you that you can do it!!!

Treadlingon 12-01-2014 09:48 PM

I have just been bitten by the treadle/ hand crank bug and want to start sewing. Can someone tell me what adjustments need to be made to get the top thread to pick up the bobbin thread? I have a New House treadle and a Jones hand crank machine. Help,

treadlingon

ArchaicArcane 12-01-2014 10:49 PM

Hi! And welcome! No adjustments specific to treadling or hand cranking need to be done to make a stitch. The most common reasons for skipped stitches with treadling would be 1. the needle in wrong, usually backwards, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure if either of your machines uses a round shank needle, so it could be more than just backwards if so and 2. Turning the handwheel the wrong way. Again, not knowing your specific machines - most machines turn the handwheel toward you and most handcranks are cranked away from you to turn the handwheel forwards but there are a few manufacturers who had machines that turned the wheel backward to stitch.

miriam 12-02-2014 02:07 AM

I would google search until I found specific info on the machines whether a blog, here or a manual site.

Glenn 12-02-2014 09:21 AM

Treadlingon, We need to know if the Jones is a CS or model. It will take a 28X1 needle and the New House is a New Home it will take a 20X1 needle, If it is a New Home you can use a common 15X1 needle and cheat it down a little in the needle clamp. Start by bringing it down by 1/8 inch or until it picks up the bobbin thread. Really we need to see a pic of the machines to determine the correct needle for each machine.
Skip