Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

girliegirl 08-27-2011 01:47 PM

very thick and it probably couldn't be quilted, my aunt has a lot of quilts like this... my grandmother used to use everything to make these heavy quilts.. I love them!

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Bennett

Originally Posted by miriam
This one was not done by me. It was done before I was born. My aunt gave it to me at a family reunion. Her grandma made it out of her boys old pants. I can see wool, velvet, silk, cotton, linsey - lots of texture. It has a linen back. It has wool inside and is just knotted together. I'm sure it was on a vintage machine - she died in the 1950s. Her sons were born between 1880 and 1900.

What a great piece of history to have!

It is interesting that they only knotted this. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kristin in ME 08-27-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
I sew everything on my Singer 301 that my grandmother gave me 11 years ago. It's the only machine I have, and I love it. I hope it lasts me a good long time!

Kristin, they say, 'if you be good to it, then it will be good to you.' Take care and enjoy.

Good to hear! I'll try. :)

jljack 08-27-2011 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.

That's a great idea to do with single pillow cases, Charlee. I love it!

jljack 08-27-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

Originally Posted by miriam
My mom would always check it - she would hold the fabric out to the end of her arm with one hand and up to her nose with the other... That was a yard.

OMG thats how my mom taught me to check yardage when a tape wasn't available! How cool to hear someone else say that :)

I was taught that too, and I still do it to see how much is in a cut piece. LOL

jljack 08-27-2011 09:59 PM

double post

jljack 08-27-2011 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a quilt a friend of mine asked me to make for them, as they are redoing their bedroom. She picked and bought the fabrics. I started doing the piecing on my newer Brother machine, but it started having issues. So, I got out my Featherweight, and believe it or not, I pieced 80% of this 104"x99" quilt on the Featherweight. Then I put the binding on with my Miss Ida 301a. They both did a great job, and it felt so good sewing with them. I loved it!

vintagemotif 08-27-2011 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
This is a quilt a friend of mine asked me to make for them, as they are redoing their bedroom. She picked and bought the fabrics. I started doing the piecing on my newer Brother machine, but it started having issues. So, I got out my Featherweight, and believe it or not, I pieced 80% of this 104"x99" quilt on the Featherweight. Then I put the binding on with my Miss Ida 301a. They both did a great job, and it felt so good sewing with them. I loved it!

Janice, That's a pretty quilt! Awesome that you pieced almost the entire quilt using a FW. Aren't you glad you had your ladies to help you out. There is something comforting about using these vintage beauties. You did a beautiful job with this quilt!

miriam 08-28-2011 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

Why is it the plastic machines always are the ones to fail???
Nice quilt.

Crossstitcher 08-28-2011 10:38 AM

Because they are plastic! Not worth a hoot. lol

miriam 08-28-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Because they are plastic! Not worth a hoot. lol

yeah and people think they are good just because they are new??? sure thing.