Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

deplaylady 10-12-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

I bought a Singer in a table a few years ago for $35 at an antique/garage sale. I have several old machines but am just now really starting to look into them and learn more about them. Hopefully I didn't over pay - I believe it is a Singer 15-91, and it sews fine. It sounds like it needs a little oil and I would love to refinish the cabinet. I have three little girls and would love for this to be their machine to learn on. I really want them to grow up with a little knowledge and some appreciation for new AND old sewing machines. I read another thread on here (I cannot remember by who, I've been reading for hours on end off and on for a few days now! Lol*) about someone who refinished the same model machine but in a Queen Ann cabinet...they used what appeared to be a stripper on it? I wrote down the product - Klean Kutter Refinisher...then they used Howard Restore A Finish. Would that be the suggested way to go about restoring this cabinet? Any other suggestions? I have never attempted anything like this in my LIFE!

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*

Great finds - love the cabinet - the look and how the machine pops up when it opens!

jljack 10-12-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by Charlee
:lol: Iris, you're a hoot! ;)

Get back in the water, it's the only way you can learn to swim!!

Information is abundant. Join Needlebar, and go check out the Yahoo groups for the types of machines you have. ISMACS is an excellent resource too!

Hi Charlee -- I joined Needlebar a few months ago, and they cancelled my membership because "..no contributions to the community." They don't want any questions about machine repair or maintenance. They want everyone to state how they will contribute to the "museum" information on the site. They are very picky!! Not very friendly. I don't know how long they think they will keep people going there if all they want is input for their "museum".

I never joined them. And, I refuse to join this coterie.

You can't take the machines with you when you die. So, you might as well start educating the next group of stewards by being inclusive. That means making it easier to find information on these vintage machines on the internet.

Yeah the Needlebar is a forbidden word in this shop an not to be spoken of!!!

Billy

OKAY!!!! I will not say that word.

Me neither, since I don't like it anyway!!

QuiltnCowgirl 10-12-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Finally got around to the pics of the Domestic 151 I bought for $15.00 this past weekend.
The top had no damage, nadda, zilch when I bought it. When I got it home, there were goofy zig zag lines notched out of the top. Only thing I can come up with, is the one guy who helped carry it to my car, (one handed) must have taken his keys out and keyed it. I had asked him not to drag the legs as he pulled it away from an object as it could break and or weaken them and I guess that set him off. S.O.B. Man was I fuming when I discovered it. Anyway, soon as we figure out how to get it out of the cabinet, we will clean her up, see how she runs, rewire if we need, and I will probably sell her. I am trying to save up money for a treadle and a really nice clean FW.
Be patient, there are 5 pics.

Could have it been a belt buckle rubbing while carrying the cabinet? I've done this myself too many times to count. I certainly hope the guy did not do it on purpose. Good luck cleaning her up...very nice clean machine. :)

jljack 10-12-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
A couple weeks ago I asked you for your opinion on a Singer 404 and thanks to you I bought it with cabinet for $35.00. She is beautiful and runs perfect.

Earlier this year I bought this clone "Fabric" that I call the Tank because it is the heaviest machine I own. We put a new foot and wiring on it for a grand purchase total of $57.00

I wanted to put the clone in a cabinet as it weights too much to be lifting up onto the table. I took my new cabinet for the 404 and refinished it (again with some help from here)

What a cute clone!! Fabric...now that's a novel name for a sewing machine!! LOL

jljack 10-12-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by grammydar
What can you tell me about this Wizard machine.
I've never seen one like this. Does anyone else have one?
How do I find out the year or anything about it?
The wiring is all bad and the mount for the motor is Broken.
Can I get new wiring and a foot pedal for it?
I love this shop!
Thanks

Wow!! Very cool decals. I have heard of Wizard, but never saw that particular model before.

jljack 10-12-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by grammydar
My sister saved this singer from the junk yard, her coworker's DH was going to pitch it (it's worthless)
So she called me and of course I took it.
All these accessories were with it, 2 instruction manuals, oil can.
But it smells of cig. smoke, ahhhhh.

Is this machine a back clamp? You have 2 differerent kinds of feet there...top clamp and back clamp.

jljack 10-12-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
So has anyone seen this sewing machine before??

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/fuo/2608376676.html

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

jljack 10-12-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Janis

Originally Posted by Courtepointe
Wow! What a wealth of information here. I just spent a l o n g time reading about 200 pages.
I am happy to be joining the vintage club with my "new to me" Singer 99k. I just got it at a junk shop for 25.00. All I needed was a new light job and some oil to get her going.
I have some Singer slant attachments if anyone wants to purchase them. Pm me.

Congratulations!!! What a great price for your Singer 99. What year is it from? I have a 1928 Singer 99-13 with the knee bar and just love it. Mine has the bentwood case with it, does yours? They are beautiful machines.

Janis you and I have twins...mine is also 1928 with a bentwood case. It came without it's knee bar, so in the interest of getting it going and to satisfy my own desires, I took the motor off and put on a handcrank. I love this little machine, and it's so fun to sew with!!

jljack 10-12-2011 10:40 AM

Great job, Bennett...what a beautiful old girl you ended up with!!

jljack 10-12-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

I bought a Singer in a table a few years ago for $35 at an antique/garage sale. I have several old machines but am just now really starting to look into them and learn more about them. Hopefully I didn't over pay - I believe it is a Singer 15-91, and it sews fine. It sounds like it needs a little oil and I would love to refinish the cabinet. I have three little girls and would love for this to be their machine to learn on. I really want them to grow up with a little knowledge and some appreciation for new AND old sewing machines. I read another thread on here (I cannot remember by who, I've been reading for hours on end off and on for a few days now! Lol*) about someone who refinished the same model machine but in a Queen Ann cabinet...they used what appeared to be a stripper on it? I wrote down the product - Klean Kutter Refinisher...then they used Howard Restore A Finish. Would that be the suggested way to go about restoring this cabinet? Any other suggestions? I have never attempted anything like this in my LIFE!

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*

Addicting, isn't it?? LOL Since coming on this thread I have gained a TON of knowledge and 7 vintage machines!