Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quiltdoctor 11-24-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4715106)
Jan, you did a GREAT job on that decal!!! Share how you did it? :)

Thanks for the compliments, Charlee and everyone. I have a 128 that has that decal. I took a picture of my decal and did a lot of work in my Photostudio software and digitally cleaned it all up. Then printed it on waterslide decal paper from Hobby Lobby. It is a very slow process but it does work. I'm trying to recreate some decals on one of my old ones, A 1907 New Home.
Texas Jan

lee231 11-24-2011 04:06 PM

buslady, did you get the Featherweight?

Glenn 11-24-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4716292)
I imagine it has to do with the treadling somehow then and maybe the movement to get it to sew would need some practice? You're certain that what you have in it is the 206 x 13 needle? Glen will have to chime in with his thoughts on it. I'm sure between all the brain surgeons here, we'll give you some things to try:> Happy Turkey Day.

I have not had a problem with the 319 skipping stitches. I use a 206x13 needle in the size required for sewing cotton piecing a 14 usually. Make sure the bight is set properly. I can also sew with a 15x1 with no problem.

melinda1962 11-24-2011 06:33 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! It has been a great holiday....both our girls came in for dinner last night, then went to lunch today with their other halves, and younger one came home to make quillow Christmas presents with me. She was having trouble with her newer machine, and learned that vintage does better. She was using a Japanese 15 and loved it. Gives me a idea of what she needs for Christmas anyway. And older daughter used another machine to mend her dress, so we have had a sewing holiday. I wanted to work on some of my own projects, but am just going to make a short night of it. Hope you all had good holidays too.

Charlee 11-24-2011 06:46 PM

Had a nice day today....with one exception. Fairly quiet morning, baked some bread rolls, and got ready to go to my sister's when Chip, my little furbaby, started crying...LOUD!! Didn't want his belly touched, just wanted to cuddle with me, which in itself is unusual, since our pets have always preferred the spousal unit to me. He's like his dad (our toy poodle that we lost last year) tho, he prefers William until he hurts, then he wants me. We put in a call to the vet, who told us that considering that he'd gone potty earlier and then ate some soft food as a treat, that he probably had a gas bubble that was trapped.
We reluctantly left him and went to dinner at my sister's, but left early to come home so we could check on him...OMG!! We couldn't FIND him! Panic time! Turned out he had somehow shut himself in the bathroom! He was so happy to see us, and did his normal running back and forth between us, jumping and twisting. Our little guy is back to normal! :)

Melinda, hopefully someday I'll get to live close enough to my kids that I can sew with my daughter in law! Sounds like you had a GREAT day! :)

miriam 11-24-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 4717457)
Happy Thanksgiving to all!! It has been a great holiday....both our girls came in for dinner last night, then went to lunch today with their other halves, and younger one came home to make quillow Christmas presents with me. She was having trouble with her newer machine, and learned that vintage does better. She was using a Japanese 15 and loved it. Gives me a idea of what she needs for Christmas anyway. And older daughter used another machine to mend her dress, so we have had a sewing holiday. I wanted to work on some of my own projects, but am just going to make a short night of it. Hope you all had good holidays too.

After using a newer machine that clone probably sews rings around hers. I got my newest clone cleaned up yesterday - took about a half hour. I haven't plugged it in and threaded it up though. There is one paint gouge in it though. I need a boat load of 15 clone belts. They all seem to come with the rubber thing.

justtrish 11-24-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor (Post 4716971)
Thanks for the compliments, Charlee and everyone. I have a 128 that has that decal. I took a picture of my decal and did a lot of work in my Photostudio software and digitally cleaned it all up. Then printed it on waterslide decal paper from Hobby Lobby. It is a very slow process but it does work. I'm trying to recreate some decals on one of my old ones, A 1907 New Home.
Texas Jan

Jan, You did a lovely job on that decal....all that work payed off!

Julie1 11-24-2011 08:22 PM

Just finished 20 Christmas coasters for a party on the 8th. Used my 403A with a double needle, everything worked great. Sewed through 8 layers to do the top stitching.

Was finally able to check out the stack on my 401A, everything seems to be working as it ought to with it. But the machine seems to hesitate between each stitch. Anyone have any idea what caused this? It is threaded correctly, the bobbin is in correctly and the tension is correct. The stitch made is a beautiful stitch, the machine just chugs along hesitating between each stitch.

jb

jlhmnj 11-24-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1 (Post 4717684)
Just finished 20 Christmas coasters for a party on the 8th. Used my 403A with a double needle, everything worked great. Sewed through 8 layers to do the top stitching.

Was finally able to check out the stack on my 401A, everything seems to be working as it ought to with it. But the machine seems to hesitate between each stitch. Anyone have any idea what caused this? It is threaded correctly, the bobbin is in correctly and the tension is correct. The stitch made is a beautiful stitch, the machine just chugs along hesitating between each stitch.

jb

Is the motor OK or the machine a little gummed up? How does it run unthreaded? Does it hestitate on a straight stitch?

miriam 11-25-2011 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 4717699)
Is the motor OK or the machine a little gummed up? How does it run unthreaded? Does it hestitate on a straight stitch?

It could also be the wiring - the foot control - friction somewhere - is the motor cold - when did you oil the machine last - use Triflow or regular machine oil - if it has had 3-in-1 oil it could gum it up and cause some drag - if it is only hesitating on the zig zag there are a couple places that have to be kept cleaned and oiled. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...-t70011-2.html on the second page there is a real nice pic of the needle bar and where to oil it. Open the top of the machine, if you push on the part on the needle bar that make it zig zag and watch you can see the one on the other end - oil it too.