Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 01-27-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting (Post 4916778)
Thanks Charlee, nothing near me.

You could start one... :)

BZ quilting 01-27-2012 02:45 PM

That is an interesting idea, wish I knew some other crazy vintage people in my area.

Charlee 01-27-2012 03:14 PM

I'm not sure how you'd go about it, I'll bet mizkaki could help...

quiltdoctor 01-27-2012 04:49 PM

Wheeler Wilson 8 - Hey Charlee

4 Attachment(s)
DH and I went and picked up the WW8 that was on CL today. She is in really good shape and I am thrilled to pieces. Right now she is not turning, but has very little rust and probably needs a good oiling. She is older than my other WW8. Her Serial No is only 5 digits long---57153. The last Patent date on her is 1873. There is a concealed drawer in her top which had several glass feet and tools inside. On the back is a bar that controls the pressure to the pressure foot. Is not operated by a spring. The pressure foot lifter is completely outside the machine too. I will really check her out tomorrow, but after being in the car for over 4 hours to get her home, I am pooped out.
My other WW8 serial number is 385288. How do these numbers compare to anyone else that has the WW8.

Texas Jan

pennijanine 01-27-2012 05:12 PM

What a beauty!!

vintagemotif 01-27-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor (Post 4917224)
DH and I went and picked up the WW8 that was on CL today. She is in really good shape and I am thrilled to pieces. Right now she is not turning, but has very little rust and probably needs a good oiling. She is older than my other WW8. Her Serial No is only 5 digits long---57153. The last Patent date on her is 1873. There is a concealed drawer in her top which had several glass feet and tools inside. On the back is a bar that controls the pressure to the pressure foot. Is not operated by a spring. The pressure foot lifter is completely outside the machine too. I will really check her out tomorrow, but after being in the car for over 4 hours to get her home, I am pooped out.
My other WW8 serial number is 385288. How do these numbers compare to anyone else that has the WW8.

Texas Jan

NICE! From the one picture, the wooden top looks larger than a normal cabinet top, more space behind the machine.
And it looks like one treadles right under the needle versus off to the side. Congrats!

Charlee 01-27-2012 05:56 PM

Wow...5 digits! Both of your machines are older than mine, serial number 434598. Looks like the cabinet has a drop leaf in the back? Mine has one on the side, and has the same "box" near the bed of the machine, but mine also has drawers.

How many glass inserts do you have? I don't recall what the manual says came with the machine, I have 5 or 6, plus a metal insert for narrow hemming.. Looks like the spooler (bobbin winder) is missing, it was on mine too, had to find one, took me a couple of years...it goes on the front of the leg of the treadle, in the "eyelet".
What a sweet machine for a sweet price!! :) I can imagine in my mind how she'll look when you're done with her!

quiltdoctor 01-27-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4917350)
NICE! From the one picture, the wooden top looks larger than a normal cabinet top, more space behind the machine.
And it looks like one treadles right under the needle versus off to the side. Congrats!

It does have a fold down table across the back. The original metal hardware is there and works perfectly! I hadn't noticed, but you are right it does treadle right under the needle

Texas Jan

quiltdoctor 01-27-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4917408)
Wow...5 digits! Both of your machines are older than mine, serial number 434598. Looks like the cabinet has a drop leaf in the back? Mine has one on the side, and has the same "box" near the bed of the machine, but mine also has drawers.

How many glass inserts do you have? I don't recall what the manual says came with the machine, I have 5 or 6, plus a metal insert for narrow hemming.. Looks like the spooler (bobbin winder) is missing, it was on mine too, had to find one, took me a couple of years...it goes on the front of the leg of the treadle, in the "eyelet".
What a sweet machine for a sweet price!! :) I can imagine in my mind how she'll look when you're done with her!

I have seven glass feet. A couple of them are chipped, plus the narrow hemmer and several other things. I will take pictures tomorrow. There are 3 bobbins a tool and looks like a piece to measure the width of your seam with the screw. I thought that $50.00 was an absolute steal. I will check it out some more tomorrow, to look for any more patent dates.

Texas Jan

Charlee 01-27-2012 06:34 PM

http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Wheeler%20and%20Wilson.htm

So...the guy I chatted with that told me my machine was about 1878 was most likely wrong... and I'm ok with that! LOL I like knowing when the machines were made, and this article tells me that my machine is more likely after 1880... but before they stopped production of the model 8 in about 1887.
With that bit of knowledge, Jan, that machine you picked up today is likely 1876, do you think? With only 5 digits in the serial, it has to be a first/second year production!