Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 06-13-2012 01:41 AM

i have a really quick question: what product is best to use to get all the gunk, grime & dirt off a sewing machine? i have two 301's that i would like to clean up. thanks.

Mary,
Awesome or Mean Green from the $$$ store won't hurt a 301 - not for the old black machines though.

Havplenty 06-13-2012 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5285319)
Mary,
Awesome or Mean Green from the $$$ store won't hurt a 301 - not for the old black machines though.

thanks miriam i will try that.

mary

BoJangles 06-13-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5284505)
A few of you wanted to see pics of my home made spool protectors. I've been busy going through my stash of woolens and wool mix felts. I thought the greens would look great on my green Elnas and 185, the blacks nice on my black Singers, the browns on my mocha 301's and 401, and the pink on my pink Morse. Guess I'll have to get a blue machine next. I think I'm going to make some in yellow, gold and maybe some herringbone types. My machines are going to be spiffy looking:>

Candace they look so perfect!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5284508)
Whew! Tired. Have been working all day on that Köhler cabinet. Let me just say that it's being a challenge! To start with, the Post WW2 East Germans/Russians that made this cabinet were NOT interested in craftsmanship. I'm finding more spaces where there shouldn't be any than I can shake a stick at! The finish on it, Skip and I decided, (well....Skip decided, but I agreed) is some kind of a water based poly finish. This cabinet was not a candidate for a refresh...too many areas where the finish was gone. What was left has taken TWO applications of stripper, and that's just for the finish, not the stain! It doesn't "bubble" like shellac or varnish do, and when it peels off, it comes off like dried jello, sticky, stringy, nasty and messy!
At the spousal unit's request, I won't be doing the burled walnut door, and will just do my best to refresh that...he's afraid that if I take the finish off of it, that it will fall apart...so I told him I'd leave it alone, altho it's been hard!

I finally have the stain on the top pieces....will do the main body of the cabinet later this evening, and the one part of the door will get stained tomorrow. Then I'll start in on shellac!

Charlee have you taken as you go pictures for us to follow? I can't wait to see all the photos - start to finish!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5284551)
Oh Baby!! You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!! I've worked my tail off today...but I want it ready to go back together when William gets back from Cali...that would be Thursday, so it may not happen by then, but hopefully shortly after that!

Charlee, I was very tired when I read this last night, but I thought you were talking about getting your "tail" back together before William gets back . . . after you worked it off! Heheheheheh! I had to laugh!

Nancy

J Miller 06-13-2012 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cookie LM (Post 5284745)
Hi I just got an old treadle machine today it is a standard says it was from 1892 was froze up but I have been working on it and got it working but I need a belt and a reg presser foot. It came with all kinds of other presser feet. Do you know where I can get parts for this machine. Thanks Cookie

Belts and standard straight stitch feet can be had most anywhere. But if you have no sewing machine shops in your area Sew-Classic.com has what you need. http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/

Joe

Charlee 06-13-2012 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5285680)
Charlee have you taken as you go pictures for us to follow? I can't wait to see all the photos - start to finish!

Nancy

Never thought about it Nancy!! I have the first coats of shellac on it already this morning... I can do a "before and after" tho!

quiltingweb 06-13-2012 06:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]341771[/ATTACH]Pictures of the Minnehaha...I haven't had a chance to clean it yet. Kids seem to think they need to eat and have clean clothes. I'm trying to learn about it before I dig into it. It moves, treadle works, not sure how to load the bobbin yet.

Charlee 06-13-2012 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5285685)
Charlee, I was very tired when I read this last night, but I thought you were talking about getting your "tail" back together before William gets back . . . after you worked it off! Heheheheheh! I had to laugh!

Nancy

~giggle~ That too!

Candace 06-13-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare (Post 5283527)

Looks like a 223. The case looks to be in very good condition. Are you going to get it?