Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

jlhmnj 07-29-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5404281)
While on vacation in Seaside OR, a sad looking Singer 201 in spray painted cabinet with manual and attachments was found by my DH in a thrift shop. The wiring was SCARY! The thrift shop wanted $75. "It works! I checked it by cheating."

Cheating Death? :)

What is a Morse 300? I don't think the 201 was a bargain.

Jon

Charlee 07-29-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5404281)
While on vacation in Seaside OR, a sad looking Singer 201 in spray painted cabinet with manual and attachments was found by my DH in a thrift shop. The wiring was SCARY! The thrift shop wanted $75. "It works! I checked it by cheating."

We walked away with a Morse 300 in the original cabinet instead. For $35, we took home a nearly perfect machine with Greist attachments. It now purrs, with new wiring and solder on a few dicey connections. Did I make the right choice?

Yep! :) The only thing you'd have been buying after the first $20-$25 with the Singer was the name. Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "But it's a Singer, and it's antique!" (Yes, it's one of MILLIONS of Singers, and no...it's not an antique, it's vintage)

I'm always more surprised when I open a closed case/cabinet and it's NOT a Singer! :) I think you got a great deal, and I wanna see pics!

jljack 07-29-2012 08:17 PM

Hi everyone...I wanted to let you know I didn't drop dead or anything. I can't get on this site from my work computer any more due to all the advertising junk on here now...it gets stopped halfway through loading by our firewall settings. Anyway, I have been so busy at home in the evenings and weekends I haven't been on my home computer in about 3 weeks.

Nothing new here....my hubby finished the Frankentreadle, but still needs to make the plates for my other heads. The New Glenwood is still sitting in it, but can't use it becauwe it's missing a spring that should be holding the feeddogs mechanism against a cam type thing. So, not using it yet. DH has been ill and off work, so I haven't been asking him to do any extra projects for me.

So, how's everyone?? Good I hope. I'll try to drop in more often....if I get any free time at home....hahaha! That's really an inside joke!! You all take care. Janice

miriam 07-29-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5404500)
Hi everyone...I wanted to let you know I didn't drop dead or anything. I can't get on this site from my work computer any more due to all the advertising junk on here now...it gets stopped halfway through loading by our firewall settings. Anyway, I have been so busy at home in the evenings and weekends I haven't been on my home computer in about 3 weeks.

Nothing new here....my hubby finished the Frankentreadle, but still needs to make the plates for my other heads. The New Glenwood is still sitting in it, but can't use it becauwe it's missing a spring that should be holding the feeddogs mechanism against a cam type thing. So, not using it yet. DH has been ill and off work, so I haven't been asking him to do any extra projects for me.

So, how's everyone?? Good I hope. I'll try to drop in more often....if I get any free time at home....hahaha! That's really an inside joke!! You all take care. Janice

all the advertising makes my computer not load a lot of stuff on here. very hard to deal with.

nurseknitsLaura 07-29-2012 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5404507)
all the advertising makes my computer not load a lot of stuff on here. very hard to deal with.

I am REALLY sick of looking at the insurance ad with the overflowing toilet....I would pay for an ad free option, just to make it go away...laura

J Miller 07-30-2012 05:04 AM

What advertising? Seriously, I don't get any at all.

jljack, glad to hear from you. I'm still here and tinkering away. Working on a couple treadle bases right now. Haven't wired any motors lately. Got an old Kenmore to rewire the power and foot controller cord though.
You used that motor I did for you yet?

Joe

Charlee 07-30-2012 05:13 AM

Janice!! I've wondered where you were! :) Glad to see you, hope your hubby gets to feeling better soon!

Charlee 07-30-2012 05:14 AM

Joe, there is banner advertising at the top of the pages for this site. Are you using Firefox with an adblocker?

J Miller 07-30-2012 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5405033)
Joe, there is banner advertising at the top of the pages for this site. Are you using Firefox with an adblocker?

Yep, I sure am.

Joe

redbugsullivan 07-30-2012 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5404546)
I am REALLY sick of looking at the insurance ad with the overflowing toilet....I would pay for an ad free option, just to make it go away...laura

I have Adblock Plus installed. It is a piece of cake to use and any time an ad shows up I click on the little red stop sign and can choose from a list of blocking choices. No, you don't have to pay. My son works at a server hot-shop and that's what all of their FireFox users love! I can't stand the moving ads either!!!