Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quiltingweb 10-03-2012 03:26 PM

That is so pretty. I'm thinking that it's some sort of faux painting technique. Wondering if I could do this with the one I have that is really ugly...referring to the pink mosaic.

vintagemotif 10-03-2012 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare (Post 5560143)
I just picked up a 99K yesterday. The motor didn't work, so I was planning on putting a handcrank on her. You can see the clear coat (I'm guessing) looks like alligator skin. I did a quick wipe down, but she will need a good cleaning, and so forth. The race area is really dirty, and a lot of fluff.
Anamaria

Anamaria, Looks like the clear coat is gone in spots.

miriam 10-03-2012 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5560144)
That is so pretty. I'm thinking that it's some sort of faux painting technique. Wondering if I could do this with the one I have that is really ugly...referring to the pink mosaic.

I think I would like it to be faux rather than real... Seems like it would be easier to move around as well. I have a White in a faux something cabinet - looks terrible. Must have been done a while ago. I'd say if you bother to do anything do a nice job.

grayhare 10-03-2012 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The 99K came in a blonde cabinet, that had been stained, but the stain is coming off in areas, other than that issue the cabinet is in nice condition. You can see in the pictures, that the stain will just peel off in areas, and other areas the stain has gone into the wood. In those areas it seems like there is no finish?? I don't know if that makes sense?

miriam 10-03-2012 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5560138)
I have noticed that lately the image doesn't show after uploading like it had before. So, there is no way of knowing that it went through until after you post the reply. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Sometimes images need to be made smaller and other times not. I don't know if that answered your question.

grumble grumble complain grumble some more - couldn't make it stick.... don't know how to resize that one - it was a sewing machine cabinet painted purple and they made it into a little kitchen. Pretty cute actually. Did you see the one turned upside down, put a pillow in it and made it into a doggie bed?

miriam 10-03-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare (Post 5560170)
The 99K came in a blonde cabinet, that had been stained, but the stain is coming off in areas, other than that issue the cabinet is in nice condition. You can see in the pictures, that the stain will just peel off in areas, and other areas the stain has gone into the wood. In those areas it seems like there is no finish?? I don't know if that makes sense?

UM Glenn is fishing again - ask him when he gets back.

miriam 10-03-2012 03:43 PM

Charlee did one up like a quilt

miriam 10-03-2012 03:52 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sassycrafter/1108283051/ this one used pattern pieces glued on - kind of unique.

quiltingweb 10-03-2012 03:54 PM

Maybe I'll just leave it open all the time :). Oh wow, that must look fantastic...referring to Charlee's quilted machine...quilters are so crafty!

miriam 10-03-2012 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5560205)
Maybe I'll just leave it open all the time :). Oh wow, that must look fantastic...referring to Charlee's quilted machine...quilters are so crafty!

It's on here... somewhere....