Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

lee231 10-17-2012 04:29 AM

Found this on local craigslist this morning. Was this a repaint?
[email protected]

lee231 10-17-2012 04:34 AM

Really nice treadle. Not a bad price either. [email protected]

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-17-2012 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare (Post 5590843)
After so many years I think I have gotten use to people not spelling or even calling me by my right name. My name is Anamaria, and even at work I have been asked what do you want to be called? I always tell them Anamaria, that is my name. I have been called Ann, Maryann, Annemarie, Ana, etc. And no one gets the spelling correct, I have 4 name badges, all with a different spelling. The one name that I always makes me stop and look is "mom" out of habit. When the 3 kids were small, I even thought my name was "Mom" :)

Hehehe - I am the Mother of three also and whenever I hear a child cry or call out Mom, I too am up and ready to help! ;)

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5591098)
Valerie, I live in Amish country, too. My LQS sells a Janome head just like an e machine except it is for a treadle. Pfaff makes one, too. I think our Amish make their own cabinets. I was invited into a new Amish home that had a wonderful, large sewing room. The mother's older treadle was there, but so were 2 beautiful new parlor cabinets in a light finish. When she opened them for me, they held their daughters' wedding presents - new, modern machines in treadles.

What a priviledge to see such a thing - the Amish don't let a lot of outsiders in, though I have to say the ladies at the flea markets and road side stands selling their baked goods have always been friendly and willing to chat.

Originally Posted by KellyD2 (Post 5591139)
Hello,
I was directed to this site as I searched for information for a vintage treadle machine. It's a Standard Treadle and I believe it to be a model no. 93-V. Anyone have any info? I most likely will use as a vintage piece, not for sewing at this time. It does have lots of attachments. etc in the drawers and it is in good condition.
Thanks!! Kelly

That is one gorgeous treadle and I hope you get to sew on it eventually. The cabinet is just beautiful! :)

Originally Posted by luna123 (Post 5591253)
Hi everyone, my daughter has just picked up an almost identical machine to this one but it is a model 'P' which we believe was made in 1911. It has a long bullet shuttle. Don't you just love the old advertising literature, one we read said that this was the only vibrator you need....

You certainly couldn't use that catch phrase for a modern advertisement now could you???! ;) Lol*

BoJangles 10-17-2012 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH (Post 5590949)
For years I thought Kenneth was pretty simple, but three different people in the last few months have made it Kennith or Kennit. If I go by Ken it becomes Kent or Kim, even when it's written down.

PinkCastleDH, I would have never guessed you to be a Kenneth!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-17-2012 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5590367)
Nancy, Those tables do make a good cutting table. My DH put a door across the legs and made a table for me but also had to mount the legs on a 2X4 to raise it up to cutting height. I love mine.

I think it would make a great cutting table, but the repaired leg worries me; and if you look at the end of the table photo it looks like the wood is warped.

Miriam, I wouldn't have paid the full asking price. I'd have made an offer if I really wanted that table. I do think it would be really cute in a sewing room full of treadles!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-17-2012 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by KellyD2 (Post 5591139)
Hello,
I was directed to this site as I searched for information for a vintage treadle machine. It's a Standard Treadle and I believe it to be a model no. 93-V. Anyone have any info? I most likely will use as a vintage piece, not for sewing at this time. It does have lots of attachments. etc in the drawers and it is in good condition.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]370410[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]370411[/ATTACH]
Thanks!! Kelly

Wow Kelly, beautiful Standard and treadle cabinet! You need to talk to Monica on here (Vintagemotif). She has a Standard too, and I believe those machines have a special attachment that will do a chain stitch too! Did you get attachments with the treadle? The whole thing is gorgeous!

What is the pink machine next to the Standard? A Sewmor? Do you use that machine? We need to see a photo of that machine too!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-17-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5591190)
Nancy,

Goodness, I sure hope you didn't have trouble sleeping over my comments.
I see your point and do agree. I agree nostalgic isn't probably the best term, but neither is reproduction. Maybe we can come up with something better.

Cathy

Hehehehehe, it wasn't the terminology I was losing sleep over - I just couldn't sleep so I was thinking! How about 'duplicate' of an original vintage Singer!

Kenneth you are right, class 15 machines have been around a very long time, even though, if you look at Singer's records they only claimed to make their Model 15 until about 1957. I don't know what the 'duplicate' machines are called? Anyone know what Singer calls those machines? Anyway, I think we have beat this horse enough. Yes, they are easy to repair, easy to maintain, a great straight stitch machine. But, there is no denying that those reproduced machines were purposely made to resemble a machine from the past!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-17-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by lee231 (Post 5591590)
Really nice treadle. Not a bad price either. [email protected]

Lee, I can't get either ad to come up even when I do a search in Craigslist.org?

Nancy

BoJangles 10-17-2012 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5590374)
Since everyone here is quilting at one time or another thought I would show you how my brain works.

Trish, very cute! Are you going to design a quilt like the brain you made? I love it!:cool:

Nancy

pinkCastleDH 10-17-2012 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5591626)
PinkCastleDH, I would have never guessed you to be a Kenneth!

Nancy

Nancy - If I'd been a girl my mother was dead set on naming me Kennetha. <SHUDDER> I loved the uncle after whom I was named but there were plenty of times I'd wished for a different name when I was growing up - Kenny got to be a little much :(