Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SteveH 01-31-2013 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5827193)
I think this Adler is coming home with me on Saturday.I am excited to get the Adler home!Nancy

Congrats Nancy! I'd get this if you were not... Well done. I'd love to hear how it sews.

JudyTheSewer 01-31-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5827193)
I think this Adler is coming home with me on Saturday. Nancy

Oh, good! I cruise CL all day long. When I saw that one I also wanted it. I had to convince myself that it was too far to drive. I am so glad you are getting it. A German treadle is on my wish list. Congratulations!

BoJangles 01-31-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5827289)
I am sitting here drooling over that Adler. Congrats.

FYI, your friend may have to make some adjustments to fit the 306 into the 127 treadle cabinet. The base of the 306 is thicker than the 127 and won't sit in the opening. The treadle belt holes may need to be routed out (made a little bit oval) for the treadle belt to function freely. I am putting my 306M into a Model 27 1893 treadle cabinet and these are to two issues that I discovered. The treadle top is currently with a friend who is doing the modifications.

Caroline, I find this information interesting. I took a 66 out and put in my 319w without any adjustments. The 319w just slid onto the hinge pins and sits in the cabinets perfectly. The only problem with the 319w in the 66 cabinet is that I can't fold in down. The head of the 319 is thicker than the 66 - so my machine is always out ready to go. The cabinet I am giving a friend to put her 306 in is actually from a Redeye - another 66. I switched the Redeye out and put in the 127. Is the 306 bigger than the 319? I thought those two machines used exactly the same body, it is just that the 319 has some built in cams, where you have to put a cam on the 306 to do decorative. Now I am curious. I just measured everything on the 127 and 319w. They measure exactly the same - including the distance between the hinge pins.

Again, does anyone know - is the 306 a different size machine than the 319? The 66 cabinet - the one that now has a 127 - is from 1914. Maybe, your 1893 cabinet is different?

Does anyone have both a 306 and a 319 to measure them for me? I'd hate to give this cabinet away to find it won't work. My friend is not good at modifying things!

Nancy

Caroline S 01-31-2013 09:45 AM

I am thinking that the 1893 cabinet is different. I currently have the 306M mounted in the Purple Passion #40 Singer cabinet. I have not tested it to see if it drops down in the cabinet as I currently have the wood screws in my purse awaiting the next trip to the hardware store to see if they have the right size.

Janis 01-31-2013 11:06 AM

"The 201-2 is a great machine for quilting and other large projects. The potted motor doesn't lack anything for power. We're making a list of machines that are "keepers" and our 201-2 is at the top of the list. It's a very good machine.
Make sure how the one you're looking at is wired. They both use the same 3 prong cord connector block, but the portables are wired differently than the cabinet machines. Look at the rear of the cord block and make sure there isn't two wires cut off. If there is it was a cabinet model and will need to be rewired to prevent electrical problems.
It's fairly easy to fix, you just need to make sure.
Joe "
Thanks, Joe for the information. It will work without the base to put it in, won't it? If I need a base for it, I'll have to try and find someone to make one for me. I don't think I could make one myself. I'm handier at cutting fabric than I am of wood. And the hubby isn't that handy at all with the wood. :(
I'm thinking that it would cost between $23 and 30 something to get the control and cord from sew-classic. I'll have to see what they say today as to what they want for the machine, and if they can tell if the motor works.
Janis

DanofNJ 01-31-2013 04:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm celebrating today because I finally completed my Willcox and Gibbs Restoration...sews really well now (see my thread on pedal restoration for those interested).

SteveH 01-31-2013 04:52 PM

Very nice! I would love to see a thread with the details of that process. it looks awesome!

Glenn 01-31-2013 05:20 PM

Really a nice restoration Dan.
Skip

J Miller 01-31-2013 08:31 PM

Janis,

I honestly don't know if the4 201 will work without a case or a cabinet. I'd check mine but it's burried under stuff and I can't get to it.
Somewhere in the vintage machine thread I posted a link to a place that sells sewing machine cases. A bit expensive, but they'll work. That thread is on the first page still ... I think.

Joe

nurseknitsLaura 01-31-2013 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5828985)
Janis,

I honestly don't know if the4 201 will work without a case or a cabinet. I'd check mine but it's burried under stuff and I can't get to it.
Somewhere in the vintage machine thread I posted a link to a place that sells sewing machine cases. A bit expensive, but they'll work. That thread is on the first page still ... I think.

Joe

The 201 will work without a case. I have one that doesn't currently have a case or a cabinet, and it's fine. HTH Laura