Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 04-04-2014 12:17 AM

I'm glad you checked the holes before the needles went out of a return to seller date.

nanna-up-north 04-05-2014 05:16 AM

Am I too late to comment on thread? My vintage machines like the thickness of Mettler silk-finish 100% cotton thread. I don't like using thread with poly in it because the poly can coat the surfaces of the needle, bobbin, and bobbin case. I do remember the SM repair guy showing me how to use a Q-tip with oil to dissolve that film from polyester thread around all those parts. I mostly get the largest spools of offwhite and black for all my piecing. If I need colors (for applique) I usually use vintage thread. I unwind the entire exposed surface of thread and then test what's underneath. If it doesn't 'pop' easily when pulled, I'm good to use it.... or I use silk if I have the right color.

Okay, I've put in my 2-cents worth. You all have a great day.

chris_quilts 04-05-2014 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6660833)
Am I too late to comment on thread? My vintage machines like the thickness of Mettler silk-finish 100% cotton thread. I don't like using thread with poly in it because the poly can coat the surfaces of the needle, bobbin, and bobbin case. .... or I use silk if I have the right color. Okay, I've put in my 2-cents worth. You all have a great day.

Jean I am with you on the Mettler silk finish thread. I like using that too - not just my machines. :D I also use silk if I have the correct color. Polyester is very frustrating to use as it is extremely linty and shreds easily. Plus I just plain don't like it. End of my $.02. Have a fabulous weekend.

Chris

oldsewnsew 04-05-2014 04:01 PM

As a person who has done a wee bit of machining, I've wondered how in the heck sewing machine needles ARE made so finely... even over 130 years ago!! That was amazing.

miriam 04-05-2014 04:07 PM

An awful lot of what they did 130 years ago blows my mind. Do you realize they haven't really come up with a better sewing machine? It is still a needle, thread and bobbin... even with computers they haven't changed how a stitch is made. Yes the needles are very amazing.

KenmoreRulesAll 04-07-2014 06:39 AM

Two things I'm finding really interesting are the lengths of threading paths and how they affect tension and how the power of a motor is more apparent when a machine is straight-stitch, as it's not being dissipated across other mechanics such as zig-zag, cam, etc.

KenmoreRulesAll 04-07-2014 01:58 PM

One quick question: the Singer 206 -- buy or pass? Good condition, cabinet, seller just wants it gone, heaps o' attachments. I know about the needle and odd setup but also about its historical significance. Apparently there are three versions of this machine at last count. Any experience with sewing on a 206? I've read both rants and raves and since I have no experience (but I do own a 319W and I like it very much), I'm wondering what you folks might think.

miriam 04-07-2014 01:59 PM

I like mine.

KenmoreRulesAll 04-07-2014 02:09 PM

Thanks, Miriam -- would you buy a 206K over a 306K or vice-versa? (The 306 is black and in very good shape, table, etc. The 206 is nice but needs a thorough cleaning and wiring but from what little I've seen, 206s are rarer. The 206 is $30 and the 306 is $70.)

miriam 04-07-2014 02:16 PM

I have one of each. The 206 is very nice but just does zig zag. The 306 does decorative stitches if you have disks. Check the bobbin area - check to see that things move. If not offer less money.