Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 12-10-2014 02:51 AM

I prefer Fed Ex even though they cost more...

ThayerRags 12-10-2014 05:00 AM

You’ll probably have to use UPS in the future, whether you want to or not. The Post Office and UPS handle each other’s parcels in the name of “improved service” on a regular basis, and I would guess that the other parcel shippers are probably involved in it too. With commerce going the direction that it is, without local retail establishments, we’re going to be depending on shipping companies more and more.

I’ve got two machines coming to me now, and I’m nervous about it. I seldom have machines shipped to me, but these two were just too far away for a road trip to go pick them up right now. This morning, the one coming from Wyoming is in Colorado, and the one coming from Tennessee is in Oklahoma. Both were shipped via USPS, but very possibly handled along the way by UPS or some other carrier.

CD in Oklahoma

SteveH 12-10-2014 12:02 PM

yeah, I'm sure...

Well, I got the box. It looks like it got rolled a few times (grrrrr) but only one puncture of the box.

I will unpack it tonight after work and see if there is any damage.

BTW, there were 6 people in line with virtually the same problem.... One really nice but frustrated couple had a box that was still on the freight truck after 3 days of waiting. They were told it will not be unpacked until late this evening and will not be processed until tomorrow afternoon. They are leaving the US and going overseas for a month in the morning.... (Oh, and UPS told them that if they cant get it tomorrow and do not pick it up within 5 days it will be shipped back to the sender....)

jlhmnj 12-10-2014 01:51 PM

I've found UPS to be generally bad news. I like USPS but there latest price increases are making things a bit steep--though steep price is better than damaged machine. These days I do my looking on ebay and buying on CL for heavy items.

Hope the package arrived safe
Jon

ThayerRags 12-10-2014 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 7002301)
....I’ve got two machines coming to me....shipped via USPS....
CD in Oklahoma

Correction on this: One was shipped UPS all the way. The other I’m not sure who it was initially shipped with (I thought it was USPS), but UPS has it now....

As a side note: UPS delivered some fabric to the shop today, and the driver came down the sidewalk in a golf cart, hopped off, and brought the boxes in. First time seeing them delivering on a golf cart.....

CD in Oklahoma

Cari-in-Oly 12-10-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 7003041)
Correction on this: One was shipped UPS all the way. The other I’m not sure who it was initially shipped with (I thought it was USPS), but UPS has it now....

As a side note: UPS delivered some fabric to the shop today, and the driver came down the sidewalk in a golf cart, hopped off, and brought the boxes in. First time seeing them delivering on a golf cart.....

CD in Oklahoma

Did you see the news story a while back about the USPS driver caught on video driving through the flowers beds and across the yard, then throwing the package AT the porch? It was hilarious to watch but the homeowner was less than amused, to say the least. I would have been royally ticked off too if it had happened to me.

Cari

SteveH 12-10-2014 03:56 PM

When I was at the UPS station this morning getting my treadle, I watched the counter guy bring out a package for someone and literally toss it onto the counter as he walked up. The sound of glass breaking when it hit left the room silent...

manicmike 12-10-2014 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7003177)
When I was at the UPS station this morning getting my treadle, I watched the counter guy bring out a package for someone and literally toss it onto the counter as he walked up. The sound of glass breaking when it hit left the room silent...

Well, the counter guy wouldn't have had enjoyed writing up the insurance form then, but I'll bet everyone else there would have :D Hmm... cause of damage?

Everyone here knows it's a bad idea to give Australia Post anything fragile and their policy is not to accept responsibility unless you buy insurance (then try and claim on it - you'll be waiting months and jumping through hoops). The people who work at the post office have warned me that everything must be very well packed and I should expect it to be thrown off at least one truck onto the ground (antique sewing machine anyone?).
Delivery people just want to get things off their lists as soon as possible, and don't respect that what their delivering might be important to someone. They're possibly overloaded with work and under pressure to do everything faster.
I've heard it's a bad idea (possibly on this forum) to write "fragile" or "handle with care", as the delivery people might get offended and be deliberately rough.
I've found a courier that's cheaper (usually) than AP and everything so far has arrived intact. This seems to be a good temporary solution anyway: They'll get a good reputation and more business from me.

I ordered some things in the past year or two from the U.S. and all packages, whether USPS or not, have come through Chicago and been delivered by Fed Ex (I think). It now takes significantly longer to get anything. Only a few years earlier I'd get an order as little as 3 business days after ordering! Now it's usually 10. Progress!

jlhmnj 12-10-2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7003153)
Did you see the news story a while back about the USPS driver caught on video driving through the flowers beds and across the yard, then throwing the package AT the porch? It was hilarious to watch but the homeowner was less than amused, to say the least. I would have been royally ticked off too if it had happened to me.

Cari

Sadly funny. Reminds me of the package left ON TOP of my mailbox propped up by the flag. The mailman must have been new and way behind schedule. Think I'll get me a jumbo sized mailbox as a Christmas gift for USPS. They do a great job and have never lost a package sent or received by / to me so far.

Jon

Rodney 12-11-2014 06:52 AM

Anyone remember the old Samsonite commercial with the gorilla throwing the suitcase around? That's the conditions to expect when you pack something to be shipped. So far I've been lucky, but then I haven't bought any sewing machines that needed to be shipped either.
Rodney