Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 09-19-2010 05:45 AM

Hi Kat... My sister sews, and so I have to admit that as much as I'd love to have the machine, it's in a good home...as soon as she gets it tuned up, she'll use it, I'm sure. (William and I will do that for her as soon as we get time)
I'm excited to be getting my featherweight on Tuesday!! :) Have to drive 3 hours to go pick it up, but that's ok!!

Miz Johnny 09-19-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Miz Johnny...a question for you...I picked up a Singer Redeye..66 of course. Are all the 66's with back attachments 66-1's?
This machine does have the motor mount..and came with a motor attached...(I took it off)

I just did a quick search on the 66-3 to make sure, and Billy's comment on page 216 is that the 66-1 is the treadle version and 66-3 is the hand crank.
Back clamp attachments tend to be pricier, but you can find them (if you REALLY need them--how many of us need more than the straight foot??). A lot of people switch the presser foot bar out with a side clamp from a later model 66. It's an easy switch--I've done it on other machines that have issues, but keep my 66 a back clamper.

BoJangles 09-19-2010 07:21 AM

Is there any question here really? :lol: You get rid of the living room furniture, of course!! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I keep threatening that...I tell William if he'd just give up the entertainment center and recliner, I could fit in at least 3 more machines, and maybe 4!! :lol:)

LOL! You know Charlee it is a good thing we have DH's to keep us in line or we'd all really go crazy buying machines!

Nancy

kat13 09-19-2010 07:35 AM

Hi Kat... My sister sews, and so I have to admit that as much as I'd love to have the machine, it's in a good home...as soon as she gets it tuned up, she'll use it, I'm sure. (William and I will do that for her as soon as we get time)
I'm excited to be getting my featherweight on Tuesday!! :) Have to drive 3 hours to go pick it up, but that's ok!!

I'm so excited for you too! I was up til 2am just reading this post...I think I'm on page 25 and there are over 300! I can't believe the finds, someone needs to sprinkle some lucky dust on ME!
Kat

BoJangles 09-19-2010 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Howard
Nancy, the serial # is B627561. Will measure and send this to you tomorrow. Thanks for getting back to me.

Ok it is a 1904, I think you already posted the serial number now that I think about it?

Miz Johnny does the serial number tell you anything about the model of that machine? I see after looking at the machine again that it is a shuttle bobbin.

The machine is missing the Singer Badge, yes you can see where it one was. It sure does not look like it was re-done, unless someone re-did the machine years ago? Geeze, if I found that machine at a yard sale, I'd sure buy it -- it looks authentic, chipping of paint, decals, everything looks authentic! If it is a refurbished machine, they did a good job making it look authentic.

I am curious as to what it measures? Billy have you looked at this machine? Go to Watched Topics, scroll to bottom of page and bring up Pictures, look under Howard (page 3 My Old Black Singer under Howard).

I am curious as to what Billy or Charlee have to say also. Miz Johnny is already working on it!

Nancy

BoJangles 09-19-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by kat13
I'm so excited for you too! I was up til 2am just reading this post...I think I'm on page 25 and there are over 300! I can't believe the finds, someone needs to sprinkle some lucky dust on ME!
Kat

I started with a Spartan I found for $5 at a garage sale last spring! That Spartan gave me the bug! I now have 5 treadles, and a 99K, all found at garage sales or Craig's List. The most I paid for any of them was $65 for my newest 1989 Hand Crank/treadle! Just start looking, you'll be surprised as to what you can find!

Nancy

Nancy

Pins n' Ndls 09-19-2010 07:41 AM

Nancy.. There is only one hole in front of the pillar and a letter B engraved in the metal above it. My pic is not clear enough to show it I think. It is a shuttle bobbin ...Length of bed is 14 1/2 in and the width, front to back is 7 in.

BoJangles 09-19-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I am back! Glad to "see" everyone again. My computer was down for several weeks. Got a "new" refurbished one and hope to be trouble free. Can't wait to catch up with all the emails. Hope you are all well and found many good treasure sewing machines when I was gone. I will need to check back post sfor pictures.

Welcome back Annaquilts!

Nancy

Miz Johnny 09-19-2010 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Howard
Nancy, the serial # is B627561. Will measure and send this to you tomorrow. Thanks for getting back to me.

. . .

Miz Johnny does the serial number tell you anything about the model of that machine? I see after looking at the machine again that it is a shuttle bobbin.

The machine is missing the Singer Badge, yes you can see where it one was. It sure does not look like it was re-done, unless someone re-did the machine years ago? Geeze, if I found that machine at a yard sale, I'd sure buy it -- it looks authentic, chipping of paint, decals, everything looks authentic! If it is a refurbished machine, they did a good job making it look authentic.
. . .
Nancy

According to charts, it's a Model 27. Definitely a refurbished machine--very nicely done.

Charlee 09-19-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Miz Johnny...a question for you...I picked up a Singer Redeye..66 of course. Are all the 66's with back attachments 66-1's?
This machine does have the motor mount..and came with a motor attached...(I took it off)

I just did a quick search on the 66-3 to make sure, and Billy's comment on page 216 is that the 66-1 is the treadle version and 66-3 is the hand crank.
Back clamp attachments tend to be pricier, but you can find them (if you REALLY need them--how many of us need more than the straight foot??). A lot of people switch the presser foot bar out with a side clamp from a later model 66. It's an easy switch--I've done it on other machines that have issues, but keep my 66 a back clamper.

Don't need to buy the attachments, it came with a "standard" set...ruffler, pintuck, etc. It'll stay a backclamp! :) Don't think this one has ever been a handcrank...so I would assume that it's a 66-1? Serial number G4498006 tells me Feb 24, 1916... it's going to live in a treadle cabinet that I have yet to get refinished....must get on that!! :lol: