Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

nanna-up-north 08-08-2013 05:59 AM

Steve, your shop reminds me of my dad's shop so many years ago..... everything was compact and 'in its rightful place'. He was a welder by trade and people would come from miles to get him to fix things.... make things, whatever was needed. As a little girl, I learned how to use many of his tools and as a teenager, I think I was the only girl to change my own oil in my car and do minor repairs. I don't do any of that stuff now..... but I thought I was special because I knew how to do stuff and none of my friends had a clue. Thanks for the picture.... dad's been gone a long time.

SteveH 08-08-2013 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6222226)
Steve, your shop reminds me of my dad's shop so many years ago........ As a little girl, I learned how to use many of his tools and as a teenager, I think I was the only girl to change my own oil in my car and do minor repairs. Thanks for the picture.... dad's been gone a long time.

I am honored to be though of in that light, thank you.

BTW - my two youngest DD's do their own car repairs. They mock their friends who cannot. They love the shocked looks on the autoparts flunkies when she knows more than they do. The oldest one has been on the lawschool track and had ZERO time. (She just took the bar a week ago)

girliegirl 08-08-2013 09:06 AM

whoooo, that is a garage of fun, fun, fun... my dads work area in basement was a cluster like that and I loved tinkering in it... lol.. my mom didn't care for it.. but to me, this brings on the tears of memories... Lou's surplus is a place of all neat stuff, some call junk for men to dig in, I can spend hours of digging in it as well... buying stuff I will never use. or will I?

redmadder 08-09-2013 04:09 AM

Drool. So love those old machines. I was sewing western accouterments when I remarked to the boss that my machine had a weird personality. His wife went huh? He agreed, each one is different and you've got to learn their ways.

Sideways 08-09-2013 04:42 AM

Awesome shop Steve!!

My hubby has a "shop" in the garage that he doesn't really use except to store his tools, I am now eyeing that space up. This for me is an absolutely amazing thing, I want to tinker, oil and lube, take apart and put back together sewing machines!! Lol, never in a million years did I ever think I would want to do this and want a shop!!

SteveH 08-09-2013 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 6224073)
Lol, never in a million years did I ever think I would want to do this and want a shop!!

Congratulations young apprentice, You have taken your first step into a greasier world....

nanna-up-north 08-09-2013 08:23 AM

better get out the go-jo!!

Vridar 08-10-2013 09:33 AM

Thanks, Steve, I'm very envious.

Vridar 08-10-2013 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl (Post 6222679)
I can spend hours of digging in it as well... buying stuff I will never use. or will I?

I get a certain amount of pleasure when I use that you'll-never-have-need-for-that tool.

HelenAnn 08-12-2013 08:00 AM

I have to agree, what is it about a machine that makes me want to take it apart and clean it up? The when they go back together and there are no left over parts. I just wish I had more strength in my hands.